Rok Stock

Mine is scheduled to deliver on Monday.

I'm glad UM took this on since the rest of the stock industry has been largely resting on tired rehashed designs. If there was anything I'd change having not shot it, I'd be a little less aggressive with the negative comb and just have a higher comb. Take a chunk out of the front of the comb for bolt clearance if needed like all the other guys do.

Life is too short to worry about how something looks over how it actually works.
That's what she said lol.
I mean I think it will work well for what it's designed for. I can tell it was purposely built for sight picture retention and comfort shooting prone.
For my pride of ownership I like to look at my guns as much as I enjoy using them.

I've always had trouble staying on the gun and in the scope, so that is why I was originally interested in the nimrod. Anything that will help with that the better.
The nimrod is nice and very light, But the palm swell would take some getting used to. The Rok stock feels more natural in that respect, seemed a little heavier than the nimrod in hand.

Last edited:
I never even heard of negative comb height as a feature to look for until the Rokstok came around and it got an inordinate amount of hype on here. Now everyone is acting like it is a must have feature and that this stock is the future, but I don't buy it.

I usually shoot prone or sitting with a tripod while hunting, while occasionally using a tree or fence post for support. Depending on which position I am in, if I have a pack on etc, my face is either a little closer or a little farther from the ocular lens of my scope. I set up my eye relief on my optics to accommodate for that small variation. Now with an aggressive negative comb height, it looks to me that my eye would not be in the same position elevation wise to line up with my optic unless I am in the exact same spot every time. This also starts to be a problem with parallax on magnified optics with your head not being consistently in the same position.

Those claiming they can watch their hits through recoil, I am assuming because the stock is dropping away from your cheek during recoil to some degree? Does that not cause you to lose and have to re-establish your cheek weld for every follow up shot?

I am also in the "its hideous" camp. Looks like someone picked up a normal stock and twisted the butt stock around 180 degrees and called it innovative. One benefit of a more traditional stock design in that you can move a rear bag forward and backwards for gross elevation adjustments. I understand if that was maintained in the Rokstok it would look like a fish tail, but any benefit of that feature seems to be eliminated here.

The McMillan offerings look a little a lot more reasonable, but I can't help but notice they are copying Manner's homework on the LRH/Pro Hunter.

Attachments

• IMG_2991.jpeg
    IMG_2991.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2992.jpeg
    IMG_2992.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 97
I never even heard of negative comb height as a feature to look for until the Rokstok came around and it got an inordinate amount of hype on here. Now everyone is acting like it is a must have feature and that this stock is the future, but I don't buy it.
Not a must have by any means but if a stock must have a comb, why not use one that smacks you in the face less under recoil? Gunwerks has had it for years and rifle stock makers or at least the market has been too dumb to copy/demand a good design for too long IMO.
I usually shoot prone or sitting with a tripod while hunting, while occasionally using a tree or fence post for support. Depending on which position I am in, if I have a pack on etc, my face is either a little closer or a little farther from the ocular lens of my scope. I set up my eye relief on my optics to accommodate for that small variation. Now with an aggressive negative comb height, it looks to me that my eye would not be in the same position elevation wise to line up with my optic unless I am in the exact same spot every time. This also starts to be a problem with parallax on magnified optics with your head not being consistently in the same position.

Those claiming they can watch their hits through recoil, I am assuming because the stock is dropping away from your cheek during recoil to some degree? Does that not cause you to lose and have to re-establish your cheek weld for every follow up shot?
I'm a believer that people being uber sensitive about their cheek weld being perfect and putting a bunch of face pressure on the rifle is way overblown in importance and at times even detrimental. BUT, what you're saying is part of the reason I THINK i'd prefer a less aggressive negative comb.

In regards to losing and re-establishing cheek weld after recoil, I'm not following? Cheeks dont stay planted on a comb through the recoil process.

I'm all for stock designs that offer improved performance, but I agree the look is down right ugly. To each their own. I guess I will just have to deal with a bit more difficulty spotting hits until someone comes up with something more eye appealing.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I get mine, but from photos I don't dislike the look personally

As far as the bottom of the stock being flat, it's definitely not for anything visual. They are very clear that it's to reduce the opportunity for muzzle rise during recoil and that minor elevation adjustments should be done with bag pressure and not bag location. I know many don't do it that way, but it's flat for a reason.

I've gotten to handle the Rokstock a lot. I designed the integral rail section and the 4 rails that fit in that area. We are manufacturing the rails.

I haven't actually shot one but I did lay down on one prone and its the first stock without an adjustable cheek piece that I was perfectly comfortable with a solid cheek weld and good eye relief.

Ken

For those more interested in functionality over looks.

Whether or not you "buy it" doesn't change the fact that negative comb has been around for a long time in both rifle and shotguns. The reason that most stocks don't have it anymore is that the trend of huge objective scopes and high rings, coupled with a need for aesthetics over function drove things like Monte Carlo stocks and their like.
That is the whole point. The ability to shoot with precision demands that you remove as much variability as you can. It always amazes me when I see people try to reload for single digit ES numbers but don't spend any time ensuring that their hand positions, cheek weld, trigger pull, etc., are not consistent.
If you think that positive or neutral comb designs allow for you to maintain your cheek weld during the recoil, you are fooling yourself. The reason that you can manage your recoil better with this design is 1) the negative comb ensures you don't get whacked in the face by the stock and 2) this stock sits against your shoulder such that the recoil drives straight back, rather than down and back, thereby causing muzzle jump. Pair that with a lighter recoiling cartridge and a suppressor, and you have a great recipe for spotting your own shots.
I am also in the "its hideous" camp. Looks like someone picked up a normal stock and twisted the butt stock around 180 degrees and called it innovative. One benefit of a more traditional stock design in that you can move a rear bag forward and backwards for gross elevation adjustments. I understand if that was maintained in the Rokstok it would look like a fish tail, but any benefit of that feature seems to be eliminated here.
Again, having a "conventional" toe line means that the back of the stock will be driven downwards during recoil, causing muzzle jump and eliminating the ability to spot your shots. There is a reason why benchrest and other stocks designed to be shot off of rear bags all have a neutral (or flat) toe line. If you want to use a bag for gross elevation adjustments then you should get one that you can squeeze to increase or decrease its thickness.
The McMillan offerings look a little a lot more reasonable, but I can't help but notice they are copying Manner's homework on the LRH/Pro Hunter.
As I said before, looks have nothing to do with functionality. Just because the McMillans and Manners stocks cost more, doesn't mean they are functionally better.

The problems it solves weren't ones I needed solved, so I'll probably sit this one out.

Eventually everyone looks like they copy everyone else's homework. If the shape sells Eventually someone is gonna make a similar shape, there is a finite amount of ways to shape carbon around a bolt action rifle... all seem pretty good. Cost usually equates to some aesthetic, and a little resin management.

Even though I'll not need one, it's good to see someone innovating.