Win M70 Coyote vs Remington Sendero

bryguy

So I had intended to purchase a new Remington 700 sendero in 7mm RM. Stumbled across a couple of these at a local gun shop. One is used, the other is 'new'. Both of the Coyotes are in 7mm WSM. Should I just go with the sendero or are the coyotes worth a look? The coyotes are the push feed design, and are the old New Haven manufacture. I am aware of the issues with some of the last M70s to come out of there. What do you guys think?

The Winchersters have no more issues than the new Remingtons and the 7mm WSM is a cool round. The winchester triggers are easy to work on. A new spring and a little polishing can get you about 1.5lb and a rifle basix will get you down into onces. I just picked up a 7mm wsm at a pawn shop myself. I had one when they first came out and it shot well. I traded it and later wished I hadn't.

You could do a lot worse than either of those 2 picks.

Both should shoot well out of the box. If not, then it shouldn't take much to remedy that.

People will develop favorites and so will you. So, you might as well go with the one you like.

I have a 7RM and 300WM Sendero and love 'em.

I also have a 6.5x284 M70 with a Kreiger barrel and I put a Coyote stock on it temporarily and love it. So, I never swapped it out. ...can't really call it a Coyote rifle but, it's a shooter.

-- richard

I have no personal experience with the Sendero, but its a very rare thing to here of one that has accuracy issues. Lots if guys here Love em.

I'm a Winchester guy myself. I'm an admitted Model-70 Freak, and obviously I'm bias in my recommendation of the Winchester Coyote.
I load for my cousins 270WSM Coyote & its a true 1/2 MOA rifle. It's flat out Awesome. I've held some, shot quite a few, & have absolutely nothing but good to say about them.
I've never seen one that didn't shoot sub MOA groups.
The issues you may have hered about were mostly concerning the Walmart special, shadow model. And quite a few of those were mostly rumor simply because Winchester was closing the doors. Some however were true, but the Coyote is not included in those rumors. I'd buy one in a minute with confidence. Plus, most smiths prefer the push feed, over the controlled round feed -pre64' style extractor claw, for ease of customising. It's almost the exact same as the Rem 700 style bolt. The difference is Winchester recoil lugg is integral (meaning one solid piece with the action), + a 3 position safety. REM is not integral, & they have a 2 position safety.
Rule #1
You get what you pay for, so DON'T buy guns at Walmart. Especially the cheapest model made, & expect them to run with the big dogs. Unless its a complete fluke, they simply, can't & won't be able to, as a whole.
Rule # 2
There are some absolutely horrible rumors about Remington QC & Warranty depts. currently in circulation.
Don't belive all that you here. If there was a major accuracy issue with the Sendero, the Rem fans on this board would be STEAMING MAD! I'm guessing most of the rumored issues are on thier cheaper models, & the issues (if any) with thier higher end models are rare.

Both are highly customizable. Both have a HUGE selection of aftermarket parts, & accessories. Both models mentioned are known for incredible accuracy.
If you had to pick a quandary to be in, you picked a good one. There's no wrong answer. Get what you like most.

I have a couple of M70's and have no issues with the two I have. One is an XTR(late 80's vintage) in 270 win and the other is a classic stainless in 270 win(first year they came out with the classic). I also have several 700's with no issues. I do like the fact that the M70's are about $300 cheaper than the sendero, so that $$$ could go to even better glass. My plan was a sendero in 7mm RM and a 5.5x20x56 nightfirce with the NP-1 reticle. This would allow me to go the zero stop model. I have dealt with both the 7mm RM and 7mm WSM, and am familiar with reloading for both of them.

I had a sendero 300RUM, I was not impressed with its accuracy out of the box, it was like a weatherby, free bore. A friend has a sendero 7RUM and its the same way. Gave up chasing the lands. Am sure if I would had some work done to it, it would have been a better gun. I don't have any experience with the winchester. I will say that the trigger on the sendero was junk and replaced it with a jewell. Good luck.
Oh and that friend also replaced his trigger with a jewell.

My first Winchester was a Model 70 Coyote in 300 WSM. It took some breaking in but after load development I found that this gun will shoot. I first found that it would shoot Sierra Match bullets, since then I have found that it will shoot Bergers and most any other bullet that I have tried.

I have nothing bad to say about the Remington Sendero, but if I were in you shoes I would be buying the Coyote 7mm WSM.

Some of the older M70 Laredo are excellent at least mine is. Tight chamber and can seat berger bullets out to the edge of the rifling.
Its my go to gun when the 220 swift cant reach the prairie dogs.

Well, the M70 won out....I got a smoking deal on the 'used' one........ I cleaned it and there was hardly any fouling at all......gun looks almost brand new. Waiting for all the goodies to come so I can get it setup. I have already polished the sear and trigger up, and will be glass bedding it once the accraglass gel kit gets here. Got an 20 MOA rail coming, as well as a 6.5-20 Zeiss.

I have a new(2009) Coyote Light in 300wsm and it has been an excellent and deadly gun. I actually just did some altering on the stock by doing away with the "cute" venting in the forearm of the stock and refinishing job. My next rifle will be a Sendero in 300Rum, but that will probably be next year. The coyote is a much lighter gun, and probably a much more comfortable hunting tool. Mine has been used pretty hard and is solid. The sendero's are nice too, and I think they are sporting hs precision stocks again. I like both. I'm gonna own both. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.