Remington Sendero vs Long range?

I have been reading a LOT of stories similar to yours were the chamber isn't cut true to the bore and the rifle won't extract rounds or its just not very accurate to begin with. That kind of makes me worry but in every example I've read of, remington has offered to fix it either by rechambering or putting a whole new barrel on it. Every story I've read of this happening, when they got the gun back it shot great. Now I believe this shouldn't happen at all but for $615 I think it might be worth the Possable trouble.

I have been reading a LOT of stories similar to yours were the chamber isn't cut true to the bore and the rifle won't extract rounds or its just not very accurate to begin with. That kind of makes me worry but in every example I've read of, remington has offered to fix it either by rechambering or putting a whole new barrel on it. Every story I've read of this happening, when they got the gun back it shot great. Now I believe this shouldn't happen at all but for $615 I think it might be worth the Possable trouble.

Every factory rifle is going to be a gamble as to whether it will shoot or not...Price doesn't have much of a factor in it, from my experience. I had a Weatherby Accumark that the barrel started having problems around 50-75 rounds, and by 250 rounds, the barrel had caved-in so bad you couldn't run a jag & patch down it without hammering on the cleaning rod, and it was shooting 2"+ groups at 100 yards... I fought with it for years, but finally got rid of it last year. Wasted a lot of money and time on that piece of garbage.

I'm not bashing, just letting you know that in these modern times, price really doesn't mean squat about quality or precision when it comes to a mass-produced factory rifle.

Understandable. Well at the price I can get it for I'm basically paying for the action and stock anyways so if it does shoot, great! If not back to remington it will go, and in a few hundred rounds that factory tube will be toast and a krieger 5r will take its place.

I do have a question about muzzle breaks though. Will any break do or is there one that stands above the rest? I am looking for one that will be flush, or have to be turned to the diameter of the barrel. Not one that's on a 50bmg. I do already own a 700CDL in 338win mag and it came very lightly used with a break on it and honestly with the break and the thicker recoil pad it has less recoil then my dads 30-06 700CDL with a thin pad and no break. Plus the 338 is an easy .5moa gun with next to no load work up. So it's fun to shoot. that's why I'm not to worried about any recoil the 300rum will have. I figure a good break and pad, plus the extra 2.5-3LBS in weight will take a lot of the recoil out of it.

i have both in 7rem and a gunworks lr1000, had they released the 700lr before i got the other 2 i could have went on a guided hunt with the money i would have saved, all will shoot 3 shot touching at 100.The lr is a great gun and out shoots the price tag every time.If i had to choose one it would be the lr with my nightforce.I have a gradient lens borescope and looked at several before choosing mine,but all had good machining in the bore.I did put a timnry straight trigger in it and set it at 2.5lbs and it shoots great.Good luck on the purchase i think you will not regrett it.

This is the first load development test with my LR in .300 win. If it will quit snowing, I'll try some other powder / bullet combinations. I'm happy with the results as are several other shooters I know. 5 shot group with 178 Amaxes . I'm not happy with the trigger , but that will be an easy replacement. I think it's hard to beat for the money.

Attachments

• 300win684350.jpg
    300win684350.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 183
hard to beat that its great shooting.i put the timney straight trigger in mine and it shoots great also.congrats on a good choice.

Ok sounds like a plan. I have a timney 510 waiting on the self for it so the trigger is of no concern to me.

Suppose you had some extra cash and gift cards burning a hole in your pocket and suppose Sportsmans Warehouse had a few of the Rem 700 Long Range on sale - out of the 300 WM or 300 RUM, which would you go for?

Sorry to hijack, just curious on opinions. I've got a 7RM in a Sendero, but have always wanted a 30 cal. I realize RUM brass is pretty terrible to try to find these days, but it does have a lot of horsepower with the 215 + grain pills.

Suppose you had some extra cash and gift cards burning a hole in your pocket and suppose Sportsmans Warehouse had a few of the Rem 700 Long Range on sale - out of the 300 WM or 300 RUM, which would you go for?

Sorry to hijack, just curious on opinions. I've got a 7RM in a Sendero, but have always wanted a 30 cal. I realize RUM brass is pretty terrible to try to find these days, but it does have a lot of horsepower with the 215 + grain pills.

lightbulbYou just answered your own question.lightbulb
The .300 WM and the 215+ is quite the combination ... with plenty of HP to 1K yards on elk size game.

I shoot a 300 RUM. Like the fact that it is beltless but hate the brass situation, that I doubt will ever get better. Plus the 300 needs a 28" barrel to really start to shine.

A Rem700 LR in 300 WM would be very shootable without a brake. The 300 RUM would probably need one. Just extra dough and noise.

lightbulbYou just answered your own question.lightbulb
The .300 WM and the 215+ is quite the combination ... with plenty of HP to 1K yards on elk size game.

I probably should have added: is the brass situation a big enough deterrent to shy away from a RUM? You're right though, I'm sure the 300 WM and a 215 is definitely enough medicine for elk at extended ranges.

I shoot a 300 RUM. Like the fact that it is beltless but hate the brass situation, that I doubt will ever get better. Plus the 300 needs a 28" barrel to really start to shine.

A Rem700 LR in 300 WM would be very shootable without a brake. The 300 RUM would probably need one. Just extra dough and noise.

Barrel length is something I hadn't quite considered - and I would definitely agree with you, a 28" would get the velocity that the cartridge really offers.

Well it sounds like I may need to take a serious look at a 300 WM if they still have any!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.