Win M70 question

hemiford

Did Winchester (pre-64) ever make a rifle with the 416 Rigby bolt face ?

Can a Win .532" mag bolt be modified to work with a .590" cartridge ? Safely that is !

This isn't a real answer to you're question, but I've altered the bolt face on plenty of 1917 enfields, after Winchester discontinued the original model 70 if one need to replace a extractor on the Winchester we would use a Enfield extractor, the overall length was a little shorter, but all the measurements were correct where they needed to be correct, and worked just fine, i see no reason why a good smith couldn't make it work

I have a pre 64 that the bolt face was opened from 3006 too the mag bolt face for one of my custom 6-5 -prc s ,I would think the mag bolt face could be opened too , but the bolt diameter may dictate that the standard mag bolt face may be the max you can open it , you need a good gunsmith too a sewer that question , I will check my pre 64 win book tomorrow and see if I can give a better answer .

Maybe this will help? Paragraph 6

Good readings on the mod 70 , I think my mod 70 book is DEAN WHITIKAR I have it loaned out too a friend , that just acquired a super grade 300 H&H and was looking up the serial numbers too see when it was made . I also acquired a 270 that the metal looks mint but I know better who ever did the reblue was really good ,most would not know the difference , but I've been around guns and mod 70s for a long time ,I bought it too shoot, not as a collector.

Maybe this will help? Paragraph 6

Thank you, Well, if that's all true which I presume it is, that answers one of my questions.

About enlarging the boltface, I'm not sure that's a great idea anyway,

Simple answer is no.
There were some rifles built on the 404 Jeffrey, but these were customs from the custom shop. I have never seen mention of a 416 Rigby offering.

Cheers.