m70 300 win mag

reinier

How does the new winchester supergrade in 300 win mag compare with other rifles in the same calibre.From what I can see it looks quite heavy at 8lb 8oz. Does it kick as much as lets say the sako 85 or does it handle the recoil better because of its weight?

All things being equal, a heavier gun will always kick less. That nice wood on the supergrades does add some heft but should really tame down the recoil. Cant comment on the Sako, as I dont know its weight, etc. I can say that the newer model 70s have a really good recoil pad. I put a newer wood stock on my model 70s that came with solid hard pads originally. My 300RUM doesnt kick nearly as hard as it used to. I would venture to say if you can handle an '06, then a 300 win in the supergrade would be a walk in the park. Even my wife can shoot a 300win in an Xbolt with the new recoil pads out there.

If you're planning to shoot heavy VLD bullets I'd suggest you check the magazine length of the Win 70 model you're considering. Winchester can put a 3.6" magazine in a model 70 as the did with 7mm STW models but they didn't do that on the 300 WM Larado or sporter I have which they gave a SAAMI (3.34") length magazine. That prevents magazine feeding 300 WM cartridges loaded longer than the SAAMI specs. My Larado is a "classic" claw extractraction model and the sporter an older push feed both manufactured by USRA. Maybe that's not a show stopper for you but it's something to check and consider. I don't have personal experience with Win 70's since FN acquired the Winchester line.

Rem 700s and some SAKOs have 3.6" magazines. Check that on SAKOs too. My only SAKO which shoots a medium length magnum is a TRG-S in 338 WM. It has a 3.6" magazine. The TRG-S was made in 300 WM too.

As to recoil, for me the factory recoil pad is sufficient to prevent bruising on the 300 WM sporter model. The heavier 300 WM Larado model (now discontinued) is noticably gentler. I don't consider recoil a problem for the sporter for a few shots. It might be for many shots in a session, but 300 WM isn't a varminting cartridge.

Last edited:
Thanks Lou.If you say the sporter is okay weighing in at 7lb 12oz I think the supergrade at almost a pound more should really not be that bad.
Wish I could just loan one and take a few shots.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.