will a 7mm work for me?

You nead to get a better bullet. The 300 ultra 230gr Berger BC 711 h-1000 powder 92 gr at 2986 vel, 2014 pounds at 900 yd.

I read all right. I cant spell but read great. You nead to go back to what you wrote 300 ultra under 2000 pounds at 600 yd that is 50 % off from 900 yd over 2000 pd. 7mm out of energy at 425 that is 40% off. 600 yds over 2000 pd. I not wanting a ****ing match. I just want the 7mm to get its full 600 yds it gets at 2000 pds. It will work fine. Would i pick it no i would go with 300 ultra or 338 cal. But i have all three. But you can kill anything with 2,000 pds at 600 yds. with a 7mm. Have a great day.

I read all right. I cant spell but read great. You nead to go back to what you wrote 300 ultra under 2000 pounds at 600 yd that is 50 % off from 900 yd over 2000 pd. 7mm out of energy at 425 that is 40% off. 600 yds over 2000 pd. I not wanting a ****ing match. I just want the 7mm to get its full 600 yds it gets at 2000 pds. It will work fine. Would i pick it no i would go with 300 ultra or 338 cal. But i have all three. But you can kill anything with 2,000 pds at 600 yds. with a 7mm. Have a great day.
Emphasis mine.

Apparently no you do not. Not only are you replying to the wrong post, but you are claiming I stated something which I never did.

I recommended the 300 RUM, 338 WM or .338Rum because all meet the OP's specified criteria.

Now this thread is going no where. I never intended for this to turn into such a "nuh uhh, yeah huh, nuh uhh" thread.

On of my favorite books is Bryan Litz's "Applied Ballistics for Long range shooting". Great book and being a "short range shooter" I learned a lot about the basics of long range shooting. He "recommends" that the only thing suitable bullet for game over 600 pounds is a .338 (with large case capacity such as a .338 weatherby (which is the example he uses) with a 300gr VLD bullet.)) I call ********. That is his opinion just as this is our opinion. We cant tell you what is best suited for your needs. I can tell you that the 7mm may not be the best cartridge suitable.. but will it work?! To answer your primary question. WILL IT WORK? I firmly believe it will.

Back to Litz's book. In all of his lethality charts he never once recommends a .308 bullet for ANY large game over 550 yards. Im sorry but his recommendation will just remain a recommendation. People have killed bear with .300win/wby/rum for a long time and I dont think a .338 300gr VLD is a must for your situation! But its only a recommendation. For all those who have the book you can reference back to page 259 to see the lethality charts and see that the only bullet that is "RECOMMENDED" is the BVLD300gr for such a situation like yours. I once again call ********. Some of his lethality charts are alittle on the wimpy side if you ask me. For example (His .270 small case capacity lethality chart) He recommends never shooting any large animal over 150 yards when hunting with the 150VLD'S! Are you serious! I would feel comfortable to atleast 300 yards with a .270!

But like I said.. all these are recommendations just as the ones we are giving you. You can sit here all day and listen to us bicker about who is right, and what is bull ****, and what will work. But If I were you i would go hunting. Take a large caliber side arm, and your 7mm and have fun. Go out and plug a grizzly or a moose, or a black bear... and prove ONE of use wrong. Which one of us you prove wrong is up to you :D

Did bear all of a sudden get a lot tougher than they were in the old days? Ive seen bear killed with a 270. Jack oconnor killed bear with a .17 javelina... I dont know everyone thinks you have to have a tank to kill a bear. I will admit that at longer ranges a tank might be necessary, but Bear cant see for ****. I think you could easily get into range without being spotted if you wanted to use a 7mm. I say go for it! Im a huge .300 win/wsm/rum fan but you choose to go with a 7mm there is nothing wrong with that if you ask me...

Yeah! Right. And Davy Crockette killed one with a willow switch too!

I wanna say that the birch is quite a bit higher than the willow. Let me load up a batch of birch and ill let you know. I think that the willow has a bit more velocity but I wanna say that the birch will give you less wind drift because of the higher B.C and S.D....:D I found that crack pipe.

No in the OP he stated max of 600yds.

Minimum recommended energy on target for dangerous game is 2000-2,500ft/lbs.

The Rum runs out of acceptable energy then at about 600yds and the 7 Rem Mag runs out at around 425yds.

A brown bear is only dangerous within paws reach. A 7mag has plenty at that range.

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.