will a 7mm work for me?

shhhh You have said to much! No one ever agrees with me! :D

While I would be more comfy with the .30-06 while trampling in the woods around here in Va,(all kinds of scary spikes, jakes,and mosquitos wandering around!) I think if the guy wants to use a 7.. Why not?!

Maybe our definition of long range is different then. He said 500 yards. I think a 7mm with the right bullets and shot placement is plenty for what he wants it to do...If its a guided hunt in the middle of the tundra, im sure the guide could get him closer to a brown bear. Everyone knows bear cant see for ****.
No in the OP he stated max of 600yds.

Minimum recommended energy on target for dangerous game is 2000-2,500ft/lbs.

The Rum runs out of acceptable energy then at about 600yds and the 7 Rem Mag runs out at around 425yds.

ishootkittens, youre absolutely right. A 7 Rem will work. If it was all I had I wouldnt hesitate to use it, mind you not a 600 yards, but I would use it.

liltank, I find you more and more not willing to pick a side! it puts a smile on my face every time though, keep it up! I believe that someone said that " if you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck." I feel that a 180 .284 cal berger vs. grizz would be a "sucky" tactic.

good thread guys!

liltank, I find you more and more not willing to pick a side! it puts a smile on my face every time though, keep it up! I believe that someone said that " if you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck." I feel that a 180 .284 cal berger vs. grizz would be a "sucky" tactic.

good thread guys!

Yeah, I just watch these debates and laugh. I use to get sucked in, but have matured much since. I don't know.... we all have our own opinions and it is just that.... an opinion.
Tank

It's not all "tundra" up there. Sometimes long shots will be required along with uncomfortably close ones from time to time.
To suggest buying another rifle in a smaller than 30 caliber is just stupid. He has a 30-06 already. Get a 338 of some type and be over gunned for caribou but in great shape for bear or moose.
His question was not what is the smallest caliber that will work.

No in the OP he stated max of 600yds.

Minimum recommended energy on target for dangerous game is 2000-2,500ft/lbs.

The Rum runs out of acceptable energy then at about 600yds and the 7 Rem Mag runs out at around 425yds.

You nead to get a better bullet. The 300 ultra 230gr Berger BC 711 h-1000 powder 92 gr at 2986 vel, 2014 pounds at 900 yd.

You nead to get a better bullet. The 300 ultra 230gr Berger BC 711 h-1000 powder 92 gr at 2986 vel, 2014 pounds at 900 yd.
You need to read better. I was explaining the limitations of the 7's, not discussing the 300 RUM.

Call me crazy though but I'm not going to be recommending to anyone a load that is 5 grains over the Max recommendation from Hornady and Hogdon.

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

The load you are recommending would be very dangerous.

Thats right RECOMMENDED. That does NOT mean it is un safe to work your load up to a safe load in your rifle does it ? Most loading data is conservative playing safe so they woun't get sued. Always work your loads up slow. We have three 7mm that shoot 180 gr berger at 2950. We could go higher but this was best ES . So remenber yes some guns will not go past Recommended loads But most will with no problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.