Wildcats suck!!! (Just joking, but I am still having trouble)

4ked Horn

I need some serious help here. I am trying to develop a good load for my .308 and am running into roadblocks at each attempt. I am desperately trying to use some 169.5 gr uld rbbt tapered jacket bullets and have started with a ladder test. That progressed to the next step of shooting 3 shot groups to confirm an accuracy (and somewhat a velocity) node. That failed miserably. Then I started at the top of that 3 shot test and continued with several more 3 shot groups that pushed the bullets into the 2840 fps area and showed definate pressure at the highest load. those groups were as bad as the previous test.

I have 18 bullets left out of 100. I am considering loading 3 shot strings starting at the bottom of the first confirming shots and going down in velocity to see if my gun is asking for a certain pressure/velocity below where I have been looking or I am considering trying a different powder altogether and loading from that powders max down in .3 grain steps then shooting upward while looking for pressure and good groups.

What do you guys think I should do?

BTW at the end of the last day at the range, with 27 shots through the gun, with a warmish bbl and a growing crosswnd and noticable mirage, I shot a 3 shot group of identical wildcat bullets except for these had a J4 jacket and were loaded with H335 at about 2600 fps. This group was a solid 1.5" triangle (at 300 yards) and less than half the size of the best 3 shot group fired with the above trial loads so far.

4ked, You didn't say what powder you used in your first set of loads, I'm assuming it was H335.

I and many on this board shoot Varget exclusivly in the 308win. Try it and you'll understand why.

There is no bigger advocate for the Wildcat bullets then me but I will also admit as will any experienced shooter that not all rifles like all bullets. If you can not find a usible load in 100 bullets, I would say your rifle will not shoot that bullet well.

A 308 should not be hard to find a load for as you well know. Should not take that much work. Sounds like just a simple fact that your rifle does not care for that particular Wildcat Bullet.

What twist do you have in your pipe? Maybe another weight Wildcat would be better suited or just another bullet period.

Can't MAKE a rifle shoot what it does not like. A rifle is like a woman, give her what SHE likes and you are both happy. Give her what YOU like and you will both be unhappy!!!

Again, I would say you have done everything you can to get the Wildcat 169.5s to shoot in your 308, time to try something different.

Kirby Allen(50)

For the .308 - Varget with Sierra 168 gr. HPBT bullets. We have found the 168 gr. V-Max's to work equally well. Give her what she likes. Varget for sure.
1kstr

Thanks for responding guys.

I am shooting varget with these wildcat tapered jacket loads.

Richard advised me to try speeding things up so I did, but all of my three shot tests have been at 2700 fps and up. Gonehuntingagain has a similar .308 that seems to shoot most bullets well but they have to be coming out at around the 2600-2650 area. Thats why I'm wondering if slowing things down might be better.

Not sure on the twist rate, But it is just a factory remington vls. BTW Kirby, what is the normal cost to rechamber the bbl to shorten the leade (freebore?)? When my wildcats are loaded to mag length it puts them about .140" off the lands. I can't help but think that this is doing nothing to help with the potential accuracy of this gun. I should only lose less than 1/2" bbl length, right?

If these bullets simply won't shoot what other reccomendations for a wildcat bullet would you make for a 600 yard deer gun primarily and a 1k+ chuck gun for practice? I will also be calling richard with this same question. Would you reccomend my trying a 175 gr matchking if the wild cats dont work?

I appreciate your input guys, keep it coming.

It ain't accurate so I want to make it that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

These are loads for the 175's. Goal was to duplicate LR 118 for the Crazyhorse (M14) family of rifles.

All using the 175gr SMK...

IMI Match or LC Match brass
42.2gr IMR4064
Federal 210M primer

Winchester brass
45.0gr Varget
CCI BR2

Lapua brass
44.0gr Varget
CCI BR2

Lapua brass
43.0gr Reloader 15
Federal 210M

boltgun load is...

IMI Match brass
42.2gr Varget
Federal 210M
175gr SMK .005" OTL

Matt

[ QUOTE ]
boltgun load is...

IMI Match brass
42.2gr Varget
Federal 210M
175gr SMK .005" OTL

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of velocity were you getting with this load?

[ QUOTE ]

Not sure on the twist rate, But it is just a factory remington vls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe that the factory twist in our rifles is 1/12. I would think that is plenty unless the Wildcats like a faster twist.

That jump to the lands is not helping your cause in any way I am sure. I prefer to seat the Wildcats to touch the lands just like any other VLD or ULD design.

Cost wise, send me an e-mail at the address in my signature and I will get you some numbers. Do not like posting numbers on a public forum. Send me an e-mail and I will get you all the information you want.

Have you ever tried loading them out to touch the lands just to see how they shoot that way? Will tell you if its worth shortening the barrel or not.

As far as other Wildcat 30 cal bullet options, I will admit I am a bit weak on this caliber as far as experience. Only ones I have used were 190 gr and up. Richard will give you all the recommendations you need.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever tried loading them out to touch the lands just to see how they shoot that way?

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if he can do it. The jump is so huge that there might not be enough of the bullet left in the case (yes, it is that bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ). I do know that he cannot do it with a lighter bullet at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.