accubonds suck !!

Splattermatic, I shoot a lot of Barnes Bullets. Your setting off the lands breaks all of Barnes recommendations. Factory recommends no closer than .030, usually say start at .050, and often shoot better at .100+!!
I know from chronographing that pressure run much higher as close to the lands as you are. Even the TSX bullets are pressure sensitive if too close to the lands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly what was done to true the receiver and barrel? I ask because unless the barrel threads were cut off and refitted, you can not completely accurize the receiver because the receiver threads need to be recut.

Just curious as to what amount of work was actually done to the rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering the same thing

Splatermatic, your right send all the sucky bullets to me, I'll pay shipping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

like several have said, tune/shoot what it likes.

as with all loading, and what barnes says, start here (.50) and work either way.

i am not new to reloading, been doing it since the early 80's, so i am not pushing my luck with running as hot as is safely possible.

i got the remaining nab's from a friend, local here, and the reason was none of his .30 cal guns liked them either... bad batch ?
dunno ?
i just came from the range and shot 3 more tsx's set at .25 off and i know i pulled shot 2, but shot 1 and 3 are in the same hole, and shot 2 is 3/4 of an inch just left. so it's a 3/4 x 1/4" group.
plenty good for my hunting needs and they chrono'd at 3422 fps for the 3 shots.
as for the work, the recvr face was trued to the threads, the recoil lug was resurfaced and squared, the barrel, checked on the lathe for trueness of the chamber to the o/s diameter, and it went out of trueness by only .002. the barrel shoulder was trued up, the lugs lapped, and all headspaced measurements are in spec, a bit tight, so tighter is better than looser, imo...
my mad machinist is a perfectionist.
my latest build is on a model 70 winchester action, with a lilja 3 groove 1/11 twist.
i talked to sean c., and he sets his barrels within .001-.002 from the bolt/lugs, so we did as well, the chambering was done by hand, all true and correct, rebedded the stock, lapped the rings, etc... just about the same as this 300 rum cept this one is a 300 wsm, and with 150 tsx's, 61.5 grains of imr4064, new brass, 215 primers.
my first 3 shot group is just under a .50 inch.

the the knowledge and experience is put into both guns, yet, this 300 rum will not shoot the accubonds.

???

feed it what it likes, i like tsx's, the gun likes tsx's, so it will get tsx's....
just found this gun to be too picky...

i can see a new barrel in the future... another lilja, another benchmark, ????
maybe some other brand ???

just thought i would have a shocking topic, and let you all know, that some guns, just won't shoot what you want it to.

my target ar that i took 4th place out of 37 shooter shooting full blown bench guns in calibers like 30 br, 6mm, etc... does not like bt's, but will group 5 shots inside a dime with v max's, is picky as well.

took the snipers hide challenge with it, and just couldn't get 5 - 5 shot groups under .25....
my fault, windy day, etc...
but again, with bt's, i couldn't even come close, but with v max's, it's a shooter..

i am using reldr 25 powder, what else could i try, i have a sample can of retumbo, and kim has 870 and 5010...
starting loads for those powders anyone ??

thanks, all, going fishing now, see ya all again in a few days....
computer is not at home anymore, so online time is scare...

Don't know if you meant something else, but you said you were seating the Accubonds .10 off and the TSX's .20 off. They would certainly work much better at .010" off for the Accubonds (although most of mine work at .020" off) and .05" off for the TSX's (per Barnes recommendations).

i'm a little lost...you are impressed with the performance of the tsx on game and your rifle shoots them very well. what's the problem?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Sorry you're having problems. Accubonds do shoot very well. You got one of those bad peas in a pod deals going on... Best of luck. Nothing wrong with the Barnes either... tough subject header though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.