Wildcat idea looking for advice

kweidner

Ok. In 2004 I bought a 223 wssm coyote model 70. Had it pillar and epoxy bedded, tridder work etc. As you well know it is nearly to the brink of extinction. I have been swaging my own 30 caliber bollits for a bit now and have repeatable accuracy to 1000 sub MOA with my custom built .308 with a 168vld I am building. I also have a subsonic bullet that expands reliably that comes in at 190 grains flat base and a huge open hollowpoint.
Here is my idea. I want to build a wildcat off the wssm. The bolt face is a magnum but length of that super short limits me. The brass is not only hard to find but super thick. I am thinking necking down a 338 lapua or norma to .300 with an oal case length of around 1.67 with an ackley improved shoulder. I was thinking 1 in 10 or 9 twist as this might make a good subsonic round too. this way I can use commercially available great cases and actually shoot the gun without fear of not having brass.
Case capacity is 53 grains in the 223wssm. With a blown out shoulder it might get close to 56. I realize this is .308 capacity but who knows with that short powder column what kind of accuracy might be acheived.
What says the knowledge on this board?

Several guys, that I shoot BR with, were experimenting with the WSSM case necked up to 30 Cal., when the 30 BR started showing up at score matches. I don't think the quality of the brass was what it needed to be for BR work but the cartridge showed promise as a good hunting round.

Yes I agree. brass is horrible. Kind of why I was thinking making it from .338 lapua.

I sure would hate to deal with a 338 Lapua length cartridge in a WSSM length action. You would have to pull the bolt to unload even an empty case, let alone a loaded round.

I sure would hate to deal with a 338 Lapua length cartridge in a WSSM length action. You would have to pull the bolt to unload even an empty case, let alone a loaded round.

No sir. It would be trimmed to about 1.5" and then necked back to .30. Other option is to build an improved 30br. 6mmbr cases would work and they are made by Lapua too. I could use a one step expanding mandrel. Case capacity is a little less though.

Just bouncing around ideas what I can make this action into.

Reality is you're not gonna get better brass than Winchester RELOADING BRASS for WSSM(it's not same as factory loaded). Just buy a bunch of 25WSSM reloading brass and pick the best of it. Better deal than it seems, because you'll never destroy that brass(too thick to hurt).

I'd look into a Sherman Short Mag necked to 30. Shorter than a WSM so long bullets will handle well or any SSM. ~70 grains capacity

But

A 308/25-WSSM improved 35 or 40 degree shoulder should work. Basically a short mag version of a 308. ~60 grains capacity

or a 300WSM ~80 grains capacity

Seems like a lot of work to end up with a magnum case head 30BR. Have you priced 338 Lapua brass?
Wildcatters have done a lot of work for what they want for a long time. Nothing new there.

The WSSM, WSM, RUM, early Dakota and Ruger started as modifications of the 404 Jefferies. AKA Wildcats.

Now the 26-Nosler is the same lineage from that.

I have worked on another .260 shorter than the 26-Nosler. I like it. Then another .250 ish from that is a WSM and another .250 or more from that is the WSSM.

Aside from tapers and shoulder angles same roots.

A lot of work is what some parts of the hobby/sport/activity/vocation/avocation are about.

I've been wildcatting for 35 years. I just don't see the point in going through a lot of time and expense to get a cartridge that is almost identical to one that exists. I know where the RUM case came from but the 338 Lapua is larger at the case head on a RUM or a 404 Jeff. The OP would still have to alter his WSSM bolt face to use 338 Lapua. To each his own but I still don't follow the logic.

I've been wildcatting for 35 years. I just don't see the point in going through a lot of time and expense to get a cartridge that is almost identical to one that exists. I know where the RUM case came from but the 338 Lapua is larger at the case head on a RUM or a 404 Jeff. The OP would still have to alter his WSSM bolt face to use 338 Lapua. To each his own but I still don't follow the logic.
Well your right, I didn't get that he was considering making a 1.67" 338LM based wild cat to go into a WSSM action. Bolt face mods required, yes indeed.

Time and expense to get "almost" identical. Why do people keep trying to build better mouse traps. No really, people keep trying to build better mouse traps.

Well, some wildcatters just want to build their mouse trap. I sure want to build my mouse traps the way I want not "almost" identical but mine.

I get it. lots of trouble better mousetrap. Really though isn't this how the 22 and 6ppc were born? Since original post I been kind of researching. There is one out there in basically a 30br improved. Sounds interesting. Short fat powder columns seem to have inherent accuracy. It's a shame those wssm are a dying breed. They really were accurate. IMHO the biggest strike against them were the end user. The barrels must be clean. If I clean mine every 10 rounds it will run .25MOA. Brass these days can cost 2.00 a piece if you can find it. I still have a bit but not much. Was just throwing out ideas for its next life. Because I have the set up to make VLD rebated and flat base in .30 and I might not see my next set of swage dies for over a year, it will be a short fat 30 of some type. I am open to ideas. Basically looking for quality brass in a short fat 30 that will work on wssm action.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.