I have an idea for a wildcat.......

Nimrod1203

I've always wondered, being an avid "Small bullets placed right are sufficient" kinda guy, why there aren't any .23 calibres....I've got an idea for one. basically a .243 AI case, necked down to .234 and shoot a 68 Gr bullet out of it. Not sure about the math, but the BC should be very good for such a small bullet. I'd name it the .234 sequential(or something like that.....) what would be the issues with attempting to go down this path? i know it's a long shot...but i think it'd be a better long range varmint round then the beloved .223s and easy on the shoulder.....what do you guys think?
Nimrod

I've always wondered, being an avid "Small bullets placed right are sufficient" kinda guy, why there aren't any .23 calibres....I've got an idea for one. basically a .243 AI case, necked down to .234 and shoot a 68 Gr bullet out of it. Not sure about the math, but the BC should be very good for such a small bullet. I'd name it the .234 sequential(or something like that.....) what would be the issues with attempting to go down this path? i know it's a long shot...but i think it'd be a better long range varmint round then the beloved .223s and easy on the shoulder.....what do you guys think?
Nimrod

Issue #1...nobody makes a barrel do they? And #2, since there are no barrels there are no bullets. You're talking about a pure wild cat. #3 cost prohibitive since you are talking about new tooling, bullet developement and manufacture, etc etc. I think it falls into the realm of diminished returns. Is it really different enough from any of the bore/ bullet/ BC combinations to warrant the expenditure of money needed for developement? I don't think so, but the .204 Ruger has found a niche in between the .17s and the .223s. Maybe there is room for another bore in between the .223s and 6mm/.243s

actually pac-nor makes a .234/270.....so there is the .234 bore right there. so then i'd just have to get a gunsmith to cut an AI .243 chamber but in .234 cal....so knowing that, what would be the issues?
Nimrod

actually pac-nor makes a .234/270.....so there is the .234 bore right there. so then i'd just have to get a gunsmith to cut an AI .243 chamber but in .234 cal....so knowing that, what would be the issues?
Nimrod
Bullet diameter is alot closer to 'groove' diameter than bore diameter. Otherwise, it wouldn't take to the rifling. I didn't look, but I'd say your .234/.270 numbers are jacked-up, they don't make any sense. If you find a barrel that would suit, you still have major tooling issues, meaning big dollars. I seriously don't think there'd be any advanvage over any of the currently available calibers, as already stated.

Last edited:
a long time ago there were some 23 caliber bullets out there, but have not seen any in twenty five years. If you have some they command a premium with collectors
gary

No i didn't have any. i was just wondering with all these newer calibers coming out lately, why there wasn't a .23......I've always wondered how the ballistics would be, and could see them filling a long range varmint niche....
Nimrod

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.