I have an idea for a wildcat.......

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Nimrod1203, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Nimrod1203

Nimrod1203 Well-Known Member

I've always wondered, being an avid "Small bullets placed right are sufficient" kinda guy, why there aren't any .23 calibres....I've got an idea for one. basically a .243 AI case, necked down to .234 and shoot a 68 Gr bullet out of it. Not sure about the math, but the BC should be very good for such a small bullet. I'd name it the .234 sequential(or something like that.....) what would be the issues with attempting to go down this path? i know it's a long shot...but i think it'd be a better long range varmint round then the beloved .223s and easy on the shoulder.....what do you guys think?
    Nimrod

2. fj40mojo

fj40mojo Well-Known Member

Issue #1...nobody makes a barrel do they? And #2, since there are no barrels there are no bullets. You're talking about a pure wild cat. #3 cost prohibitive since you are talking about new tooling, bullet developement and manufacture, etc etc. I think it falls into the realm of diminished returns. Is it really different enough from any of the bore/ bullet/ BC combinations to warrant the expenditure of money needed for developement? I don't think so, but the .204 Ruger has found a niche in between the .17s and the .223s. Maybe there is room for another bore in between the .223s and 6mm/.243s

3. Nimrod1203

actually pac-nor makes a .234/270.....so there is the .234 bore right there. so then i'd just have to get a gunsmith to cut an AI .243 chamber but in .234 cal....so knowing that, what would be the issues?
    Nimrod

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

Bullet diameter is alot closer to 'groove' diameter than bore diameter. Otherwise, it wouldn't take to the rifling. I didn't look, but I'd say your .234/.270 numbers are jacked-up, they don't make any sense. If you find a barrel that would suit, you still have major tooling issues, meaning big dollars. I seriously don't think there'd be any advanvage over any of the currently available calibers, as already stated.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  5. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

a long time ago there were some 23 caliber bullets out there, but have not seen any in twenty five years. If you have some they command a premium with collectors
    gary

6. Nimrod1203

No i didn't have any. i was just wondering with all these newer calibers coming out lately, why there wasn't a .23......I've always wondered how the ballistics would be, and could see them filling a long range varmint niche....
    Nimrod