Wild Game Processors

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
I tried several different processors locally, always wondered if I got my own meat or if I got it all. Started butchering my own deer after losing a smoked ham, it was green inside pitched the whole thing. I do not profess to know anything about smoking meat but other smoked meat we buy is not green inside. Now I know I get my own meat, purchased a grinder, have a sausage stuffer, use a Milwaukee hack saw for the bones and a knife. We have a cast Iron kettle, cook the bones and make scrapple. It takes me about 2 hours to debone grind, bag and wrap steaks.
Next is a homemade cooler, I have access to a cooler unit and have a who friend is a commercial refrigeration tech.

I tried several different processors locally, always wondered if I got my own meat or if I got it all. Started butchering my own deer after losing a smoked ham, it was green inside pitched the whole thing. I do not profess to know anything about smoking meat but other smoked meat we buy is not green inside. Now I know I get my own meat, purchased a grinder, have a sausage stuffer, use a Milwaukee hack saw for the bones and a knife. We have a cast Iron kettle, cook the bones and make scrapple. It takes me about 2 hours to debone grind, bag and wrap steaks.
Next is a homemade cooler, I have access to a cooler unit and have a who friend is a commercial refrigeration tech.
Not saying anything dishonest about Processors, but when you are going to have your deer processed you need to ask the processor a lot of question.
I saw friends drop off deer and during peak season the deer were piled up in a back room and NO cooler. Also most Processors mix all the deer together to make ground hamburger, sausage. They don't do one deer at time. If cutting into steaks/roasts yes you can get your deer, but not ground.
I only posted this story to show a BAD Processor. Most are very HONEST!!!!

I've done my own deer a few times after not being satisfied with local processors. A friend recommended a processor and am very pleased with his work. My burger is from my deer. Steaks and such are vacuum sealed and he makes excellent sausage.
Bad actors are in every profession and you should definitely shop around and look at the condition of the shop but a recommendation from a friend is the best bet.

I stopped going to the processors long ago. I killed a doe opening morning of muzzleloader one year and went out and killed a buck the next day. The buck was probably 40 pounds heavier than the doe. I processed the doe and paid the processor to butcher my buck. I got more meat off the doe than I did the buck.

In another case, I had a friend once go back and complain that he did not get all of his meat. They gave him 2 more sacks of meat probably weighing around 20 pounds.

I also know someone who goes to the processors and buys meat that no one claims. Not so sure that its legitamate.

I had a good local processor before I moved, but at the end of the day it was easier and cheaper to do it myself. I end up with the cuts I want and everything is vacuum packed. My bull last year tested my patience as I shot it at the end of the season and could only work on it a few hours a day after work, but when it was all done I was glad to have done it myself.