Hog's Gone Wild......

41mag

Hog\'s Gone Wild......

Well right after the first of the year, I loaded up a protien feeder we had out up there in the country. We put this thing together several years ago and it has worked fine till now. I put four 16' hog panels around it to keep the cows from freeloading, and the hogs from rooting it over. It had t-post ever 6' or so around the inside driven down to about a foot over the top of the wire, as well as several pieces of rebar to hold it down in the middle areas between the post. Well I guess the smell of that high protien feed was just a bit much for one mamoth hog and this was the result.

P1010025A.jpg

P1010024A.jpg

P1010026A.jpg

P1010027A.jpg

P1010028A.jpg

P1010029A.jpg

P1010030A.jpg

P1010031A.jpg

Yes those post are pulled up and knocked down and even bent .
It's not like I don't mind feeding the hogs, but **** I sure hate to build fence, and fix feeders. I guess at least I know what bait to use when the full moon starts to come around next month.

Re: Hog\'s Gone Wild......

Mike,

You have a BIG hog problem. We have feeder pens around all our feeder and have never seen anything like that... Sping for a game camera and see how big those hogs are -- I think you will be suprised what you see...

Spino,

There are some brutes hanging out in all that bottom land, only problem is crossing paths with them. So much cover and so little time. I shot a decent boar that came trotting across the cotton field last Saturday right to the barn, had to put a cell call on hold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif He probably would have gone around 225 - 250#. He did however have the hardware to do some serious infliction of pain under the right circumstances. After seeing one once that we thought was a yearling hefer, and another that cut across the road in front of my Dakota that was as tall as the hood, not much surprises me on their size, unless I am only feet away when they appear from the brush. And of course then we have gotten these
58268608pccZpV_ph.jpg

58268622ClRNWP_ph.jpg

241270567vqXuWc_fs.jpg

512946607nCrmdz_fs.jpg

The top ones weren't weighed as our scale at the time wasn't big enough to handle them, the bottom two, which were both smaller than the top ones were weighed at 362# and 320# respectively. That second one came WAY too close to making minced meat out of me literally.

And here's one that would put the hurt on ya in a heart beat,
217116508TlpJEo_fs.jpg

A070-1.jpg

Phil,

Hang a stand?? We mormally just sit in a short chair or on the top of the levee bout 150 to 165 yds out from that feed pen. It's wide open to both sides and stretches out to about 350 to the right and about 400 to the left. Evenings are the best time but the setting sun gets to be a pain at times. Sets right over that woodline. Still it offers a great oppurtunity for a hog. Course sitting up at the barn sippin a cold one does as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Don't worry we wouldn't set ya out there all on your lonesome without some back up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike/Tx,

Nice porkers - I knew you were on to something big down there by looking @ that mangled HOG pannel.

You're making my mouth water - stop it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'll take out a porker anytime I don't have any bucks hanging around. There is nothing like venison/wild pork sausage. Wild pork on the BBQ grill = mmmmmmmmm - good...

Oh, for those that don't know in my opinion wild pork is 100% better tasting and better for you that the penned up domestic store bought pork. Is'nt that right Mike/TX?

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, for those that don't know in my opinion wild pork is 100% better tasting and better for you that the penned up domestic store bought pork.

[/ QUOTE ]

You betcha! I would take a good wild hog over just about anything running the woods. I got some deer meat from my daughter last year and after eating one package gave the rest away. Just couldn't make myself eat it, after having the fresh supply of porkers.

WE have deer and hogs both out in the same area all the time and when we shoot the hogs, the deer generally just look up and go on about their eating. It's all in the conditioning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We have had several deer get in the way while we were working up loads last fall, and had to wait till they moved out of the way, and this was within 100yds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.