Wife said okay to new scope for Christmas, but what one?

Thanks for all the help guys. Judging by all the replies, sounds like I'll be going with the zeiss most likely. Now I just have to find one to look through if possible. I don't know anyone with any nice quality glass to look through, so I'm going to hit up the local shops. I'll be the first person in the family with so etching above a Simmons or Tasco.

Big buck, if you're dad needs a new Nikon, I was going to buy from here. http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/browse.cfm/2,6468.html

Looks like good deals and they're a sponsor. I think he goes by the name Lerch.

Last edited:
I'm not wanting to buck the trend as you've got many good ideas already, but I'd also look at some of the better Bushnell scopes, elites primarily. I know you probably won't get a 6500 series in your price range, but there are many that they have that are really good. I just recently got a Elite Limited Edition w/ the side focus (yes, the china made one) for $200, and I've seen it for less recently. I was surprised at the glass, very bright, clear from ~40 feet to way out. My FIL has a 3200 series that is at least as good as the VX-1 that he also has (I get a chance to shoot regularly).

I know of their warranty through a close friend...they stand by their product without a fuss, but I heard others put through the ringer w/ certain other brands. My 2 cents...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.