Why is there no coatings used in rifle throats to slow erosion?

Well spoken J E!

"Long range hunting comes with it's own set of problems and for now we just have to live
with them until someone comes up with a "Better Mouse trap" .

And that's the whole trick right there, sir! :)

For anyone wondering---as far as I know, no one is attempting to pop off with something that is better than Melonite or Nitride treatment as a more cost-effective solution in this thread. We know that Melonite and Nitride treatments are effective and in use. The spirit of this thread is to explore ideas that may or may not have been looked at before.

If we applied the train of thought that says we "can't improve on what's already out there" all of the time, we'd all still be chasing animals with wooden sticks.

devins, where are ya? Your brain needs picking....lol.

I am not sure that cost effective as far as production is concerned is really one of the top priorities is it? It's also a huge time/cost saving not having to break in a new barrel, tune a new load, verify drops and all that fun stuff. The ABS style barrels are certainly out of the normal price range by a long long way and they still sell fairly well.

I wonder how any of these coatings would effect bolt thrust extraction of the fired cases. I wonder if they would change the chamber friction enough to matter.

I am not sure that cost effective as far as production is concerned is really one of the top priorities is it? It's also a huge time/cost saving not having to break in a new barrel, tune a new load, verify drops and all that fun stuff. The ABS style barrels are certainly out of the normal price range by a long long way and they still sell fairly well.

I wonder how any of these coatings would effect bolt thrust extraction of the fired cases. I wonder if they would change the chamber friction enough to matter.

No lazylabs. Your right, we're NOT attempting to come up with something as cost effective as Melonite or Nitride---and not in a production-sense for sure. IF we stumble upon something here, it would only be of value to those that have a NEED for it.....mainly "super"-magnum shooters.

The very point that you make about having to do all of the load development and break-in is what prompted me to create this thread. I had initially thought that maybe it would be valuable to some to see what we might accomplish if we were able to do something crazy like double the normally expected barrel life of a hot-rod caliber rifle. If we could find a way to do THAT, I know I'd buy one as long as it wasn't a 30,000 dollar investment....lol.

I'm just guessing here, but I would say initially that anything that we might find to work well, would almost certainly aid in reducing the extraction force necessary to remove a round from the chamber. I could certainly be wrong, but it would appear that way initially.

Thanks for your input! I hope you stick around to discuss this with us more.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts