buying a used rifle with issue...

Mando40459

Ok this guy is selling a Rem700 .270 win SPS with a new leupold vx2 3-9x40. the reason he is selling the rifle is because, he used somone elses reloads and according to what he says , the round blew up the inside, and he said he felt the pressure in his face. now the bolt doesnt close.. he is selling the whole set up for $125... any reccomendations in fixing the rifle? im just buying it for the scope but if i can salvage the rifle its a win win for me!

Ok this guy is selling a Rem700 .270 win SPS with a new leupold vx2 3-9x40. the reason he is selling the rifle is because, he used somone elses reloads and according to what he says , the round blew up the inside, and he said he felt the pressure in his face. now the bolt doesnt close.. he is selling the whole set up for $125... any reccomendations in fixing the rifle? im just buying it for the scope but if i can salvage the rifle its a win win for me!

Get it quick before he change his mind! The Leupy alone is worth it. lightbulblightbulblightbulb

Without seeing it or knowing anything else other than you described it was most likely a pierced primer, the gas traveled through the bolt body and the bullet went downrange as normal. Why the bolt doesn't close is likely inside the bolt. I'd be interested in knowing if putting another bolt in it would cause it to work as it should. Definitely have a gunsmith look into it but like others said the Leupold alone is worth it, on top of that you have a stock, trigger and whatever other parts that are usable that can be sold on ebay.

thanks birdhunter, thats all the details i know of as well, i just have picture of the set up. i have a 30-06 same model il try and see if that bolt works...if its what you describe would it cost a lot to repair?

I have no idea. I am not that knowledgeable on 700's but the gunsmith I am friends has told me that gas can flow through a 700 bolt if a primer is pierced and knew a guy who had a pair of safety glasses with a round burn mark directly in front of his eye to prove it. I don't know the pats layout internally to the bolt and what could be damaged inside it, which is why I say take it to a gunsmith.

I would like to know what happened to it if you buy it and find out.

ok thanks again friend, i should pick it up tomoro and i start looking into it then maybe later on the week il take it to a gun smith, il let u know.

bigngreen yea im buying it just cus of the scope deal but, if i can fix the rifle i wouldnt mind having an extra rifle.

Have an expert look at it would be my advice.

If it extracted the brass it probably is not damaged beyond repair.

It should be taken apart and throughly inspected though.

J E CUSTOM

Yea the rifle and leupold scope are very new it only has a scuff marks from where he dropped it when the incident happens, i just took a look at chamber with a flashlight looks normal. I inserted my 30-06 bolt in it and is cycles very smooth and it also fires. I haven't shot it yet, but tomorrow il see if i can get it inspected. Hopefully its an easy fix. gun):D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.