buying a used rifle with issue...

I once blew an ejector with a hot load. Needed to tap on the bolt handle with a hammer to get it up. Might be something as simple as a damaged ejector or extractor which would be minimal cost. If the bolt is shot, not a bad thing really, the PTG one piece bolt is better and get the mini M16 extractor with it.

Hopefully receiver and barrel are OK, but like everyone else has said, get it checked out by a qualified smith.

yea that could of been it, when I got the rifle the bolt handle was broken off, the lugs had been grinded on and its missing the extractor as well it looks like its been grinded on hahahaha the bolt is completley been destroyed. I called remington and they said they would check it out I just dont know if they will want to charge me for a new receiver.

yea that could of been it, when I got the rifle the bolt handle was broken off, the lugs had been grinded on and its missing the extractor as well it looks like its been grinded on hahahaha the bolt is completley been destroyed. I called remington and they said they would check it out I just dont know if they will want to charge me for a new receiver.

Bolt handle broke off??? Sounds like a lot of pressure to me. Good reason to have a one piece bolt.

I agree with above, don't send it back to Remington. They might be inclined to be extra cautious and condemn and destroy the receiver to avoid any liability. Get it to a qualified smith to give you his opinion.

I guess I just don't understand this, why would you even try to save this mangled mess, I pick up good straight Rem 700's regularly for $260-$320. If the bolt is that mangled then the integral lugs in the action are likely a galled mess so in cleaning that up you'll likely start getting near the end of the heat treating in the lug and you'll set it back far enough that it will screw with primary extraction so you'll need a PTG two piece bolt assembled or a used bolt rebuilt just to get close to this thing operating. I know I would not stick my face behind!!! Nothing like spending more money in an effort to be cheap.

I guess I just don't understand this, why would you even try to save this mangled mess, I pick up good straight Rem 700's regularly for $260-$320. If the bolt is that mangled then the integral lugs in the action are likely a galled mess so in cleaning that up you'll likely start getting near the end of the heat treating in the lug and you'll set it back far enough that it will screw with primary extraction so you'll need a PTG two piece bolt assembled or a used bolt rebuilt just to get close to this thing operating. I know I would not stick my face behind!!! Nothing like spending more money in an effort to be cheap.

Probably a good analysis. I wonder why the lugs had been ground on after the fact? Makes me think they were ground on prior to the incident and makes me curious what that might have had to with it?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.