Thinking of buying a lathe, how hard is it to chamber a rifle?

WEATHERBY460

I have a little bit of experience of running a lathe, but not much. However, I think I could learn. If I know the basics of running a lathe, is it hard to thread/chamber, install muzzle breaks etc on a lathe? I'm leaning towards buying a grizzly lathe:

I don't know how hard it is, but I'm sure you can learn it. I'd just get some bar stock to practice threading. $6K is for the lathe, but you'll have to invest as well in machinists tools and consumeables as well. I have a good buddy that's a T&D maker with 30+ years experience I've picked his brain a few times about this subject. I concluded I was better off buying pre-fit barrels and using a barrel nut on the actions that I could.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but it just isnt for me. Besides buying the lathe and tools, I'd need to wire my shop, as well as probably frame in a dedicated space for it. I have a 40X60 building but it's just one big un-insulated, un-heated open bay.

With basic knowledge of machining, turning in particular, it is not difficult. Before I'd buy a Griz today, I'd be checking with the used machine dealers. Just because a lathe is 'new' doesn't mean you can cut a 'better' chamber than you could with a used machine. "It's the Indian, not the arrow". Any lathe with a large enough spindle bore/long enough bed can be used to chamber barrels. The lathe just needs to be in good condition, set-up so any twist is taken from the ways and the tail stock properly alined with the spindle. As mentioned above by 'ducky', you'll spend a pile of money on tooling/tool holders, work holding. And I mean in the thousands of $$$, not just a few hundred. There are many methods that can be used to successfully cut a chamber.

There is nothing mythical or magical about chambering. Chambering is nothing more than a straight forward machining task. No need to sacrifice the neighbors cat . There are so many other gunsmithing related tasks, other than chambering, that have less of an investment in machinery and tooling, that it just boggles my mind to think that it is what gets the most attention on the interwebs. Maybe that's because so many have dived into it and set themselves up as "gunsmiths". Some worthy of the trade, many who are not. Just owning a lathe and cutting a few chambers doesn't make you a 'smith. The barrel work is the easy part. And, after that lathe, "so I can chamber my own barrels", comes a milling machine with all of the other related tooling and work holding to be able to do anything. A guy gets that mill and lathe, tools 'um up, then starts buying commercially made tools instead of making his own, when he has the tools he could probably make better than he can buy! It would be interesting to calculate just how many custom barrel blanks, how many custom actions, how many McMillian stocks and how many triggers and high end optics could be bought with what it costs to buy and set-up a lathe, just so you could chamber your own barrels. I am sure the answer to that calculation could finance many high end customs. As a school trained gunsmith with now over 30yrs of being in business, I spend much, much more time doing for clients than I have time to shoot my own or do for myself. Hunting seasons get past by many years, because I have work for others that needs doing. I post not to dissuade you from buying a lathe and chambering your own barrels, but to possibly provide some input towards that endeavor.

With basic knowledge of machining, turning in particular, it is not difficult. Before I'd buy a Griz today, I'd be checking with the used machine dealers. Just because a lathe is 'new' doesn't mean you can cut a 'better' chamber than you could with a used machine. "It's the Indian, not the arrow". Any lathe with a large enough spindle bore/long enough bed can be used to chamber barrels. The lathe just needs to be in good condition, set-up so any twist is taken from the ways and the tail stock properly alined with the spindle. As mentioned above by 'ducky', you'll spend a pile of money on tooling/tool holders, work holding. And I mean in the thousands of $$$, not just a few hundred. There are many methods that can be used to successfully cut a chamber.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Correct me if I have this wrong but, wasn't he asking how hard it is to learn to chamber a barrel, not how much it cost. If he is like me (I feel sorry for him) it is the adventure of learning something new. The cost is just part of the process. I have been thinking of getting a mill and a lathe although I have no real use for one or clue how to use one. It is merely for making something myself....and then abandon the whole thing to the corner of the shop next to al the other tools I bought but didn't need.

Whatever lathe you buy, do yourself the biggest favor, and get some barstock to practice with first, even some brass to begin with for the forgiveness. Chuck a drillbit in your tailstock, spin the roundstock in the head and punch holes deep enough to thread, chamber, and headspace until you get it figured out. Have fun!

I get the desire to play around and learn new skills. And because I enjoy the sport and spend ridiculously large amounts of time on it I probably would end up doing some rifle stuff. Not in any way to save money because tool roads are super expensive to travel but because I enjoy learning new things even while I completely understand I may not develop skill levels anywhere near professional levels.

Turning roundy rounds is not the problem, cutting threads, indexing shoulders, cutting, recesses are the problem

Take the money and spend it on a rifle or 3 and find another hobby. I have extensive time with Cincinnati lathes and Hardinge OD grinders and I wouldn't think of doing this.

But don't let me stop you!
Definitely need patience when measuring tenon lengths with bolt nose recess with headspace for sure. Don't want to overshoot that last .001. Be prepared to spend as much in tooling as you did for the machine. Could've bought a couple guns from gunwerks for what I have in mill and lathe and tooling. But where's the fun in that 😁

Turning roundy rounds is not the problem, cutting threads, indexing shoulders, cutting, recesses are the problem

Take the money and spend it on a rifle or 3 and find another hobby. I have extensive time with Cincinnati lathes and Hardinge OD grinders and I wouldn't think of doing this.

But don't let me stop you!
Setting up the runout is the critical part