How hard is it to replace a stock on a Savage?

KQguy

I have a Savage 110fp and want to put a new Mcmillan stock on it.How hard is it to change out a stock?Do I need to worry about messing something up?I don't want to make a mistake that will cost me accuracy,I have a torque wrench,so getting the screws to the right tightness won't be a problem.
BTW,I am planning on putting an A5 style on,in case that matters.
KQguy

its a very simple job just two screws and it falls out , no matter what stock you get a bedding job would be bennificial.

second , Unless you absolutly have to have a McMillan stock their ar alot of other real good options that will cost you way less. Stockade Gun stocks makes a very nice stock that is made like the A5 and it actualy better built as it has an aluminum bedding block that runs up into the forend , cost about half what a McMillan does finished and aout 1/4 if you paint it yourself !! Joell Russo makes an A5 stock that is made from Laminated wood , you have to finish it yourself but the wood allows to shape it to fit your had better cost about half what the mac does and you'll have it finished , and up and shooting way before Mcmillan is supposed to have your stock to you. then their is Manners stocks they make an A-5 style that is repprtedly way better built than the mac and the shipping time is alot less , customer service is said to be top notch.

Here is a pic of one of Joel Russo's A-5 laminated stocks on my personal 260 (actualy a selfless bump for a couple friends , Joel and Nate)

SSG2601.jpg

Thanks for all the help!I about fell over yesterday when I got a qoute on a new stock from Mcmillan.I will definately check out some of the other names you mentioned.

I ordered a stock today from Kevin at Stockade,I ordered the money savings line(prep and paint yourself).I got the stock for just over $200,that's alot better than $700+ from Mcmillan.Kevin is a great guy to deal with,we must have talked on the phone over an hour just talking about guns and shooting.thanks again for the help!
KQguy

You must have bought the Pdog/Tactical Special. In about 8 weeks you are going to be very happy. I got mine about a week ago. It is out in the garage drying the 4th coat of clear that is over a Plastikote Stone Fleck. It didn't take too much to prep the stock. The seams were quite good. On mine, the barrel channel wasn't quite straight or even. A bit of bondo and some sanding fixed it right up. A couple more coats of clear and it'll be ready for pictures.:)

You must have bought the Pdog/Tactical Special. In about 8 weeks you are going to be very happy. I got mine about a week ago. It is out in the garage drying the 4th coat of clear that is over a Plastikote Stone Fleck. It didn't take too much to prep the stock. The seams were quite good. On mine, the barrel channel wasn't quite straight or even. A bit of bondo and some sanding fixed it right up. A couple more coats of clear and it'll be ready for pictures.:)
Yes I did get the pdog/tactical,are you going to bed your new stock?I am going to practice with my factory stock,so by the time my new one comes in,I will hopefully know what I am doing.;)

James
Does Joel have the pattern for your big palm swell or did you do it yourself? I could use another Savage stock and that looks like the ticket!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.