How hard is it to rebarrel a Remington 788

hesse

Hey guys need some help picked up a Remington 788 in 22 250 looks like it needs a rebarrel. I have done savages and ruger's with a barrel nut I do have a barrel vice. I would need a action wrench any recommendations would be appreciated. I do have go no go gauges but I'm curious as to any other tools I would need and what is any issues I may run into trying to do this myself just because the turnaround time seems to be getting longer having somebody do the work. Thanks for any help appreciate it guys

Hello Hesse ,

The tenon on a Remington 788 is 1" x20 TPI and +/_ 1.500" long with about first .200" of threads removed . I certain portion of the threads midway down are removed to allow the action screw which is long to tighten up the stock without hitting barrel or grind down the screw to fit . For the recoil lug that humps up above the action , I grounded a portion of my Rem 700 action wrench to miss the humped portion ahd had to cut the action screw hole longed to fit the 788 action hole spacing . Hope this helps . Please let me know if any questions .

Jack

Hey guys need some help picked up a Remington 788 in 22 250 looks like it needs a rebarrel. I have done savages and ruger's with a barrel nut I do have a barrel vice. I would need a action wrench any recommendations would be appreciated. I do have go no go gauges but I'm curious as to any other tools I would need and what is any issues I may run into trying to do this myself just because the turnaround time seems to be getting longer having somebody do the work. Thanks for any help appreciate it guys

Unless I'm reading this wrong, it appears that you think you're going to find a pre-fit barrel for your Rem. 788 action. While I'm not an aficionado of pre-fit barrels, I have yet to see any made and available for the Rem. 788s.

So, in response to your questions about tools and process, I suggest starting with a barrel blank and a fully tooled lathe. You will need turning tools, threading tools, the proper reamer and some polishing grits. To assist with the tooling, some education regarding how to operate a lathe would be appropriate. General knowledge of gunsmithing is helpful with all the details you will be confronted with.

1652718563446.png

1652718692173.png

The 'instructions' above are basically fine, they just need some details.

The rear tang action screw hole can be enlarged to accommodate the more standard 1/4-28 action screws.

trying to do this myself
You're going to need a riflesmith to rebarrel as mentioned above, flat breech nothing unusual from a machining perspective.
Out of production near 40 years, no nutted prefits for this action are available.
Despite being a "budget" rifle back in the day, fairly well regarded.

^^^
I've had that post (barrel tenons) from Rod Henrickson bookmarked for years- good resource :)

Last edited:
You're going to need a riflesmith to rebarrel as mentioned above, flat breech nothing unusual from a machining perspective.
Out of production near 40 years, no nutted prefits for this action are available.

I did a cursory look for a 'tongue-in-cheek' emoji but didn't find one I thought was acceptable. So rather than waste any more time I wrote a description of the process and tools in order to discourage the OP from thinking this was a DIY project. I now have an emoji to use when required. :)

1652971814127.png

I've had that post (barrel tenons) from Rod Henrickson bookmarked for years- good resource :)

I use excerpts such as this for simple clarity featuring the description along with a simple graphic. Sometimes it's faster than re-inventing the wheel by trying to write something quasi-original.

Enjoy!

:)

Not to send anyone on a wild goose chase, but I *think* I recall seeing the 788 listed as an action one of the barrel makers (can't recall which) will do a prefit or short chambered at least barrel for.

Edit: goose chase was not overly wild: PacNor!

Not to send anyone on a wild goose chase, but I *think* I recall seeing the 788 listed as an action one of the barrel makers (can't recall which) will do a prefit or short chambered at least barrel for.

Edit: goose chase was not overly wild: PacNor!
Thanks for the heads up