Sever throat erosion can bbl be saved

Iron Worker

* ReplyReply
* Reply with quoteQuote
* Modify messageModify
* Remove this messageRemove

Rem 700 hart bbl 26" long 1.200 x4'' then tapers to .913 . Length is 26".Its chambered in 6x284..Original gun smith says it has sever throat erosion. Can I have a 3"(or what ever it takes) cut off it and re chamber it to 6 BR or some other 6mm cartridge ? What are my options besides replacing the bbl. This rifle still produces under 1/2 moa.I want to get all the life I can out of this bbl .

First, it needs to be bore scoped to see entire condition. My BR gunsmith says: If the bore is not firecracked, a re-chambering will restore some accuracy for a limited number of rounds. In the 6PPC, he recommends rechambering only if it does not have more than 1,800 rounds thru it.

Before you re-chamber to a new caliber, what is current bolt face opening; and what twist is it now? In the new chamber, what bullet will you use and will it be stabilized by that weight? These answers may suggest the proper caliber.

* ReplyReply
* Reply with quoteQuote
* Modify messageModify
* Remove this messageRemove

Rem 700 hart bbl 26" long 1.200 x4'' then tapers to .913 . Length is 26".Its chambered in 6x284..Original gun smith says it has sever throat erosion. Can I have a 3"(or what ever it takes) cut off it and re chamber it to 6 BR or some other 6mm cartridge ? What are my options besides replacing the bbl. This rifle still produces under 1/2 moa.I want to get all the life I can out of this bbl .

you could brobably cut a half inch off the big end and rechamber. There are a couple wildcats that are slightly shorter than the basic 6/.284, and these have a much better barrel life will a very slight loss in velocity. The 6/.284-.100" short is the ticket. Guys I know shooting this round say they might loose 50 fps max, and with a longer neck they are seeing almost double the barrel life. The chamber can be reamed off a generic 6/284 reamer or better yet have one ground with a longer neck (.330"). I also know a couple guys shooting a 6/284-.150" (at the shoulder), and these guys are saying the see about a 75 fps loss with Berger 88's. But with much better groups. I probably would also cut a half inch off the muzzel at the sametime I rechambered.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.