Why is .308 Win ignored so often?

Alimac

I have owned both a 30-06 and now a .308 Win

Whenever I look for recommendations for calibers I see mountains of entries recommending 30-06 for almost any usage but virtually nothing recommending the .308

Given the remarkable similarities in ballistics, the availability of the cartridge and the lower recoil why does .308 seem to be the red-headed stepchild?

Is it just that "My grandpappy, pappy and me always used 30-06" or is there a deficiency in the .308 Win that means it is less useful?

Probably just personal preference mostly. The 30-06 shoots heavy bullets faster but generally is not quite as accurate as the 308. Having said that the 30-06 has been almost "reborn" in the last decade. The advent of new bullet styles and a host of new powders has given the 30-06 increased performance levels not possible in the past.

I think you answer your own question. The 30-06 is just more of a good thing and as far as accuracy goes I can't tell the difference between the two.

The ballistic similarities you are seeing are most likely "paper" or advertised ballistics. I have noticed that the Federal GMM loads for both the 308 & '06 with the 168smk are loaded to the same velocity... for whatever reason I cannot fathom.

An experienced handloader with the '06 will be able to outrun the 308 with any bullet weight. Personally, I would expect 100-200fps increase.

As far as accuracy goes, there is no difference. Rifle build quality & shooter make the difference in accuracy, not either of these cartridges.

t

Interesting I normally run across the opposite, people arguing how superior the 308 is, shorter action, blah, blah. The are both very close, both have Merits. I find the 06 to be 150-175 fps faster with 168 grns, the heavier, the more the 06 shines.

If you go back through History, guns and caliber popularity is one lesson I learned. A gun use by either side in a war earns a following and respect. The 30-40 Craig, 30-06 Whether in 03 Springfield, 1917 Enfield or M-1 Garand and 223 Rem. All were used by United States soldiers and staked their livers on them in battle and they gained the soldier's respect and admiration. The 308 Win.- 7.62 X 51 Nato in the M-14 saw short service in Viet Nam before the AR-15 took the front in many services small arm rifle. Men using a gun in battle and survive with its use makes them very special.

They remember and sometimes admire and respects the enemy's firearms. the 8MM Mauser, the 6.5mm Japanese, 7.7 Japanese and The AK-47 Are enemy firearms that have gained use in the U.S.A from our soldiers facing them and seeing there destruction caused to their buddies and friends.

I have owned 30-06 and 308 Wln. rifles. The 30-06 uses a med. action. So weight wise a 30-06, 338 Wm, 7mm Rem. or 300 WM weigh about the same. The 308 Win. being run through a short action makes for a lighter rifle with near 30-06 ballistics. Police departments and military competition keep the 308 win. alive and going.

I have owned both a 30-06 and now a .308 Win

Whenever I look for recommendations for calibers I see mountains of entries recommending 30-06 for almost any usage but virtually nothing recommending the .308

Given the remarkable similarities in ballistics, the availability of the cartridge and the lower recoil why does .308 seem to be the red-headed stepchild?

Is it just that "My grandpappy, pappy and me always used 30-06" or is there a deficiency in the .308 Win that means it is less useful?

If you desire a 30 caliber for hunting why would someone pick a 308 over the '06 if all other variables being equal?

If the 308 is offering lower recoil in a lighter rifle (or same weight for that matter) while shooting the same weight projectile velocities cannot be the same with out something else involved (changing physics). ( Muzzle break, but pad etc). Recoil is often influenced by perception.

The '06 holds more powder plain and simple.

When I have trouble sleeping, I think about the 308.... Snooze fest.... Until I think about rebarreling it to 260 AI or 7mm-08 or..... **** it I am wide awake again!

My first serious "Longe Range Hunting Rifle" was a 308. This was years ago. I chose the 308 over the 30-06 because of the rifle platforms that were available like the Milspec 700. Having used them for competition, i was very familiar with the ballistics, and accuracy of the platform was far more important to me then the relatively small difference in power. Today, neither one would be my choice for target or hunting at long range.IMO.

I like my .308 only .30 cal I'll own ..went to 35 whelen & 25-06. Witch came from a 30-06 .... I reload & shoot a lot so the 308 takes 10-20 grs less of powder means I can get more rds per lb less recoil to just my 2 cents

Another thing that in the early days of the 308 Win. that hurt it as an all around cartridge. When 308 Win. hit the market as a commercial firearm, Winchester brought it out in the Model 100, Model 88 and the Model 70 in 308 Win. The first factory rifles had 1-12 twist and shot 180 gr. bullet good, 200 gr. Heaviest factory load So So. The 30-06 standard twist was 1-10 and would stabilize long heavy round nose 220 gr. bullets. This was a proven load many Big Bear, Moose and Elk in cover hunters wanted. So the 308 Win. Had a strike against it when it hit the market,

My first rifle i had was a 308 my dad tried to convince me to get all kind of others but i stayed with my 308 and once he seen how well it shot and how it handled our deer around here he went and got one him self now i also have two 30-06's one in a rem700 cdl and one in a howa 1500 i love them all but i really like my 308 its just such a fun round to play with

I don't know that it is "ignored so often", there are just many more choices available these days. I still know people buying and building new ones. The military still uses them as do many police forces. I expect the 308 will be around and popular for a very long time. JM2C

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.