Take Down Rifle, 308 win

Edge,
Its not nessesary to mount on the bbl, the take down rifle locks up very tight, i bet your putting 10-15 ft pounds of torque on the bbl when you close the system.

I use a full thread system, HS uses a bayonet type- interupted thread system. I thought about using this system on mine, but i didn't want to mill out the precision threads i cut in the Ti Action, Ti dont like to be milled. It only takes about 20 seconds to screw on my barrel. The only draw back to doing it this way is you have to use a compact scope as the whole barrel and forarm have to rotate 360 deg, cant have any scope over hang. My adjusting ring is similar to the HS, but that is it. Im betting the gun will hold under 1 moa that is repeatable. You have to remember this particular rifle was built for short to med ranges, it will more than likely outshoot a factory rifle. The barrel weighs 1 pound with brake, so its a very light contour. Testing will tell the tale, i will post the groups when done. I am going to fire groups with taking the barrel off in between each shot.

Dave

While it might be a bit of a pain, a multi-start thread would get the same result as an interrupted thread without the milling.

edge.

Dave,

I do believe your thread design seems much better to me compared to the HS design. My friends 30-378 blew up on him due to excessive headspace I guess??? He said when he put it together to shoot it seemed a tad loose and when he shot it it completely exploded the gun was in splinters. Wish I had some pics I was surprised he didnt get hurt just a couple small scratches on his face.

Anyway very beautiful and looking forward to see how it shoots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wildcat338

WOW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I looked at the Patent drawings, the bbl tennon looks very small for a large caliber like that. This is one reason why i went with the full threaded bbl. Testing tomorrow!

Dave

Hi Dave have you thought of selling one of your take down systems so they could be fitter to a Remington action?

Cheers Bill
Australia

DAve that sounds awsome as i am looking at a 338 sub sonic that i can take down so i am interested.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I went out this morning and fired the takedown rifle for the first time. I used some 125gn Nosler BT bullets with H-4895 for barrel break in loads. I tested the accuracy of the system by shooting a three shot group, removing the barrel and shooting another 3 shot group. I also shot a 3 shot group removing the barrel in between each shot. This was all during the barrel break in process. All groups were very similar,1" - 1.25" on average. Even the group with removing the barrel each shot was about the same size. All groups were strung horizontal accros the target. I would say this was from the 20mph cross wind i had to deal with.

There was very little differance from group to group from removing the bbl and installing. The system looks very promising. More testing and load work up will be needed.

It was real pleasure shooting this after all the big boomers i have been building, felt like a pellet gun for recoil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will post the pics of the targets when i get some time.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.