Take Down Rifle, 308 win

Black Diamond 408

I just finished up this little project, it is a light pack rifle in 308 win.
The name of this rifle is "Double O Seven"

Lawton stainless barrel 16.5", ultra light contour with brake

Viersco Titainum action, swiss cheese bolt, 3 shot repeater

Brown Precision fiberglass thumbhole stock

Burris 3-9 compact scope will be added

[image][/image]
[image][/image]
[image]http://[/image]
[image][/image]

Butt section is 21.5" long with a 13.5" pull length
Barrel section is 18" long

This was made for a ATV box or in a back pack. It turned out so nice i'm making one for myself.

Testing for groups will start as soon as the weather breaks.

Dave

James,

Its 6 pounds, a rem ti action is lighter than mine due to the full bolt design. A person could use a short rem 700 for this also, might shave off a few more ounces.

Dave

I mounted the scope and this is what the finished rifle looks like. It weighs in at 7# total.

[image][/image]

I'm thinking on my rifle...open sights with a quick detach scope option. This rifle will fit nicely in my ATV box.

There is no real restriction on how big of caliber that can be used on this type of rifle. A 300 WSM would be a real nice all around pack rifle.

Dave

Thanks, but now I have to ask, if you can lock up a barrel with hand pressure why does Remington tighten their barrels to 100 Ft/Lbs ?

I guess I really want to ask if there is any "special" tightness that a barrel should be tightened to??

thanks.

edge.

Dave is the lock up similar to the HS Precision???

BTW, Its a beautiful rifle, I think a 300 wsm would be awesome in a package like this. A buddy of mine has the HS Precision Take Down Rifle in 30-378 and 300 wsm but it has a 30" barrel.

Edge,

You really dont need anything close to what rem puts on their rifles, factory specs are set up for lawyers and such, properly fitted rifle barrels dont need masive torque. There are lots of switch barrel guns out there that use hand pressure to set the barrels. Now when you get into a very heavy caliber you will need more Ft # to hold the bbl in the threads to keep from shooting loose, but that is a different situation. This can't shoot loose because the bbl is locked in place once its installed. I had a 220 swift built many years ago on a pre 64 win action, it had a 1.200" straight bbl, it was built for Pdogs. One day i discovered the barrel was only hand tight, i was a bit concerned, but it still shot .100 groups so i didnt mess with it. Most of my customs have 40-60 ft pounds on the bbls, these are large cases, 338-408 stuff.

Take down rifles might not be quite as acurate as a std rifle, but that remains to be seen. This particular build was made for 200yd shooting. The main thing i want to see how it groups... from removing the barrel and re installing.

I built a rifle back in the 80's for a guy, he wanted a rifle set with two calibers, 25-06 and 300 win mag. It wasn't really a take down rifle but a switch gun. It was made from a 98 mauser, woodstock, two separate bolts and two identical contoured barrels. The barrels were hand tightened and a lock screw was installed in the action. The gun would hold sub moa groups with both barrels.

Dave

Wildcat 338

I've never seen a HS style takedown rifle so i dont really know. I just came up with this simple system to lock up the bbl assembly.

I was thinking a 444 marlin would be a nice survival or camp gun type rifle, good for bears and such. The cases could be loaded with shot capsules for shooting game birds as well. Kinda a dual purpose rifle.

Testing will have to wait, we are in a winter storm here, heavy wet snow, 4-8" are predicted.

Dave

Thanks, it is an interesting concept.

I may be wrong, but I would think that accuracy would be easier to achieve if the scope was attached to the barrel and not the action since a deviation of a couple of tenths in alignment would be catastrophic at a few hundred yards.

The HS Precision Patent is at this link if anyone is interested:

PATENT

edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.