Just cause it is in print don't make it so

Jimm

Just cause it is in print don\'t make it so

Especially if it is printed on the end of boxes of Lazzeroni ammo, i.e.

Have several boxes of Lazz ammo for the Warbird , 168 smk coated with whatever they use. End of box says that with a 12 twist bbl at 28 inches of length the loads achieved 3558 fps .

Don't know how they did that as a 8 round sample of the ammo was hovering right at 3300 fps out of a 26" bbl. Maybe they were shooting a 100 plus degrees , I was only shooting at 65 to 70 .

Jim B.

Re: Just cause it is in print don\'t make it so

thats the exact same thing I found and when you try to reload and reach those velocities you ruin that expensive brass

I have heard past rumors about their claims being BS.

When my brother got his Warbird, same as the one you are playing with. He loaded up to Lazzeronis recommended load with RL-25 and this was from actually speaking with him over the phone. He said the Sako will get 3500 fps easily.

Well, my brother loaded right up to 3500 fps with the 180 gr pill with RL-25 and was pretty happy with the results. Around 3/4 moa average. When he went to reload them though he got a little sick to the stomach, he had blown the primer pockets on over 30 of the 50 cases he had loaded up.

Lets see $2 a pop times 30, well you get the picture, not happy camper. This was about the time Retumbo came out. We worked up a bit more cautiously with this new powder and I will admit that his top end load did average 3505 fps but was still a very warm load.

Personally I would have loaded to 3450 and left it there but he wanted 3500 fps. Rl-25 will loosen the primer pockets at this level which is good for Lazzeroni, you need to buy new cases after every shot!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Warbird is a fine round but Lazzeroni did not do it any favors saying it will match or exceed the 30-378. In all honest, if you look at the case capacities, it is much closer to the 300 RUM then the 30-378 and its performance levels also reflect this.

It will get you about 50 fps more then the RUM in same length barrels and about 75 to 100 fps less then the 30-378 in a 26" class barrel. Still the top of the pile in "factory" 30 cal rounds but not what he advertised.

His velocities, like all other factory loads are developed in tight chambered match barrels. Put them in a Sako with a factory bore and chamber(although they are generally better them most factory chamebrs) and you loose velocity and often a significant amount!!

Like you said though, do not believe the print. It makes a guy a bit mad when he pays $90 for 20 rounds of Warbird ammo only to get sub 300 Wby performance!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty I just noticed they just increased their 180 advertised factory velocity to 3,550! Wonder what magical componants they are using?

What the heck......no magic carpet ride?? Case capacity DOES DICTATE velocity?? I'll be darned. And what about all the guys posting on the internet that their "stock" rem 300 rums are running 3500 with absolutely no pressure signs!!!! Ya right.

Waha-Steve,

That velocity is with their rifles and their bullets, you will never see that if you load your own ammo and that is also probably with a very short case life as well.

Velocity sells and the general public never checks to see if they are actually getting what is advertised, that is what Lazzeroni banks on my friend.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kraky,

Funny how that happens!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A 300 RUM will get 3500 fps with a 180 gr pill, just have to screw a 34" barrel to it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oops, just read your "factory" qualifier!!! Mystery back on!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty, I was shooting with a gent who was working up some 180gr TSX loads in his box stock Rem 700 in 300RUM. I can attest that you can indeed reach OVER 3500fps with this bullet in a stock Rem (24" barrel? Maybe 26").

You do this by using H4831 instead of Retumbo. Yes, that is a BIG WHOOPS.

Amazingly, no loss of body parts and the action didn't need a mallet to open. The bolt lift was stiff but opened under hand pressure.

Cases had primers flat as a pancake with lots of primer pocket extrusion. Extractor marks nice and shiney. All those great pressure signs but no leakage.

It works much better now with the right powder poking along at 3300fps.

Jerry

well, hell, brass is expendable!!! 3500 fps and you do not even have to resize your cases, just start fresh every time with Virgins!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have been proven wrong!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I think I'm the only one that has been able to achieve the stated velocities in the Sako Lazzeroni!!!! Even my friend, who bought his before I bought mine, had trouble with his brass and velocities. I never had trouble with the brass, and I was using Barnes 168gr XLCs and RL-25. I did however have to bed the action--that factory "recoil lug" that the TRG-S has is a joke. After the bedding, it shot wonderfully...and I was getting 3650fps. I didn't even have to trim my brass!!! However, if my friend didn't trim his brass every single time, his bolt wouldn't even close--I think he's ruined two boxes worth of brass so far--and at $50 for 20rds of brass, he's crying in his beer. There are times that I miss that gun--was a good setup, with the Burris Black Diamond 4-16 on it, but now that I'm getting to 3400fps with my 300RUM, and paying a fraction of what he is on brass, it makes it a little easier on me. Jimm, I'm glad yours is working out for you--just gotta baby that brass.

Good luck this season!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.