Who owns their own hunting land

jwall3d11

Just curious. After a season of hunting heavily populated public hunting grounds in PA, I have decided to start looking for my own little piece of hunting property. I grew up hunting my relatives properties in SW PA but 2 years ago work moved me north and east. I don't have time to go back and hunt there like I want to so my other option is to get my own land. This got me curious to who else on here has their own land to hunt on. Is it hunting land only or is your house also on it, a hunting cabin maybe? How many acres?

I own a couple of places and will be building a home on one of them to retire on. I lease quite a bit more. "My land" is reserved for myself and family, the land I lease I hunt myself but mainly it's for customers.

My wife and I own the farm my family and we all hunt on. We are in the central part of Crawford co. pa. The farm is for family only and is posted property only because we were getting over run by other hunters. Before pre posting days I even had a couple idiots try to run me off my own land; that didn't bode well for them. The game warden and I where on a pretty friendly basis, and we meet them coming out to their truck after hunting hours that day. They were given a good talking to by him and threatened with a warning for their over stepping my authority as a land owner. They were told to never come back. I have 5 children all grown up now, a son and 4 daughters, and the standing joke is that you have to marry into the family to gain hunting rights. My son-in law that married my oldest daughter has to be held in check because he wants to have his buddies hunt the farm. I say no and thats the way it's going to be. I will soon have grandchildren starting to hunt,when that time comes they will have a spot to hunt. It is unfortunate that we had to post but it sure made for some fantastic hunting. ctw

Nice. My family pretty much always posted their properties. We always had enough people to cover the properties so no reason to waste anybody else's time. My budget should get me between 40 and 100 acres. Probably going to end up living on the property also. I have a 4 and a 5 year old coming up plus a niece and nephews. I also believe my wife would hunt if I had the time and place for her to go.

jwall3d11 : I own 150 acres in Pa, Clinton County. It is actually three different parcels totaling 150 acres. The largest parcel is 135 acres and was bought for $28,000 , no its not a misprint that's why I had to buy three parcels though, because the 135 acres was landlocked. We didn't know where we wanted to build our house yet, so we bought all three parcels. I Was told before we bought, that we could just buy the large parcel then go through the court system for a right of way, and that there was no such thing as landlocked land anymore. However it was probably cheaper to buy all three than to go through the court system. They would set the cost and where the R.O.W would be located. All three parcels connect to each other. Two of the parcels have TWP. roads that boarder them. I know people who have done good at local sheriff sales. They said sometimes not many people show up at them, but you have to be carful because they sell for what he said is called the upset price. The upset price will be what is owed on it and any unpaid taxes or any other liens against it. You don't have to own a lot of acres to have good hunting, as long as it is in a good location. Location is the most important I would say, next would be the way the land was shaped and the way it laid. For example, land on the side of a mountain above farm land , I would prefer a shallower depth but longer parcel running parallel to the mountain above the farm land. this would let you intercept more deer coming up from feeding in the cropland, as compared to the same size strip running up and down the mountain. We bought our land about 22 years ago, before the GAS rush. Land that is in the area above where the gas is will cost you a lot more, and you don't need the gas to make good deer hunting. I first located this property by looking through a multi-list relators book. Good luck! Good luck hunting and be safe.

My family has 40 acres in small valley in centre co pa. My dad and uncle bought it in the early 80's. There's enough room for 5 of us to hunt and that pretty much covers the whole area. We started to hunt it seriously in the early 90's. There has been less than a handful of years go by that we haven't killed any bucks. There has been many many years go by that we have killed 2 or more bucks on this small piece of ground. Our piece is posted along with the rest of the small valley and we don't shoot many does. I cant say that for the other land owners thou.

Like I said you don't need a lot of acreage to kill deer if it in the right place, you have to look around and ask nearby residents if there is good hunting in the area before you buy. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.