Top 10 (rifle) hunting cartridges everyone should own

winmag

So I know there are literally no right or wrong answers, but I thought it'd be fun to see what everyone's opinion was.

Now, I live & hunt "out west", & my opinion will differ greatly than someone hunting whitetail over a food plot or from a tree or box, but here are my 10 favorite.

Smallest to largest:

1-22lr varmints like sage rats etc
2-223 for bigger varmints a bit farther away like coyotes etc.
3-243 varmint/antelope & deer cross over cartridge. Kids first "big" rifle.
4-30-30 not particularly awesome in any category, but still a classic cowboy cartrige that is fun to shoot, & can get er done on most critters at reasonable ranges.
5- 308 great ladies or kids all round cartridge
6- 270 North American all round cartridge with light recoil {I'm partial to the WSM}
7- 30-06 North American all round cartridge with more bullet selection. All time classic.
8- 300mag (take your pick) I prefer Win Mag, or WSM, but am fond of Wby too. Best all round caliber ever. Period. Ya I'm opinionated. But, I'm right too.:D
9- 338 (again pick one){I prefer Win Mag version} but depending on chambering, its today's "go to" LR (caliber) to which all others are compared. And it's plenty of medicine at most any range for anything in Anything on North America with Strong constitution, or a mean streak.
10- 375 (H&H, Wby,what ever, take your pick) {im an ol' H&H fan}everything else including Africa

So what are your favorites?

1) .22lr nobody should be without at least 1 rifle, and 1 handgun for grouse and such.
2) .223 bolt rifle for varmints.
3) 6mm Remington longer range varmints, and kids first rifle.
4) 6.5x284 smith says mine is a step closer, model 100 winchester, my semi-auto concession, coyotes/wolf.
5) 30-06 in case the idiots confiscate all but one.
6) .300 H&H Ruger #1 Cabelas 50 year model.
7) .338 RUM for stretching my limits.
8) .375 H&H could beat out the 30-06 if it came down to it.
9) Model 94 saddle gun in either .375 Winchester or .444 marlin
Bucket list:
10) .224 Clark, met the old man years ago, and its stuck with me.
11) .257 Weatherby, first real rifle I ever shot.
12) .500 N.E. double rifle, first purchase when I win the Lotto, second purchase plane tickets.
Yeah I know I couldn't stop at 10. Probably not at 12 either truth be told.

Yeah I will play

1.17 HMR
2.22 Mag
3.22-250
4.25-06
5.270 wsm
6.30-06
7.30-30
8.300 Ultra
9.338 Ultra
10.12 Gauge with Buck shot!!!

Im a little biased as these are the calibers I have. I didnt include 22LR as I feel the 17 or the 22 mag is superior. I do own 4 or 5 22 LR'S though.

.17 HMR
.22 LR
.220 swift or 22-250
.243 Win
25-06
7mm Rem Mag
30-06
300 Win Mag or Ultra Mag
338 Win Mag or Ultra Mag
45-70

A lot of others that I would like to list though. Most of these you can find factory ammo for if you are in a pinch.

Smallest to largest:

1-22lr varmints like sage rats etc
2-223 for bigger varmints a bit farther away like coyotes etc.
3-243 varmint/antelope & deer cross over cartridge. Kids first "big" rifle.
4-30-30 not particularly awesome in any category, but still a classic cowboy cartrige that is fun to shoot, & can get er done on most critters at reasonable ranges.
5- 308 great ladies or kids all round cartridge
6- 270 North American all round cartridge with light recoil {I'm partial to the WSM}
7- 30-06 North American all round cartridge with more bullet selection. All time classic.
8- 300mag (take your pick) I prefer Win Mag, or WSM, but am fond of Wby too. Best all round caliber ever. Period. Ya I'm opinionated. But, I'm right too.:D
9- 338 (again pick one){I prefer Win Mag version} but depending on chambering, its today's "go to" LR (caliber) to which all others are compared. And it's plenty of medicine at most any range for anything in Anything on North America with Strong constitution, or a mean streak.
10- 375 (H&H, Wby,what ever, take your pick) {im an ol' H&H fan}everything else including Africa

So what are your favorites?

The .270 is the only difference I would have. let's replace it with 7-08 or 260 and I am with you.

Livtoohunt, or anyone, why do you prefer 7-08 over 270 or vice-versa? I'm looking for a first whitetail rifle for my boys and the borrowed 7-08 (Kimber Montana) was not too much recoil for my short & light 11 yr old. So I like it but I've heard 270 also recommended. Also, any recommendations on sub $500 rifle/scope combos for young beginners? The Montana would be great but $1300+ is out of the question.

1..22lr
2..22mag
3....17Rem
4...222Rem
5...22-250
6...243win
7...270win
8...300sav
9...300 Ultramag
10...375h&h
11...50BMG Just becausegun)

Great post and good discussion. Everyone has their favorites!

1. .177 competition pellet rifle. Give a kid one of these for the winter and have them practice in his/her basement….with a good scope and on 10X. Cheap, easy to find a range with only a few steps away, can be the most economical and user friendly system with developing your mind practicing how to break perfect shots. You don't have to worry about shortage of ammo…….the pellets have always been available even when the rest of the sporting goods shelves are empty. When temps warm up, move outside, smear some sticky sweet liquid on a piece of butcher paper, wait for the flies to come for dinner, and watch the kids take out the dinner guests, one at a time.
2. 22lr, enough said on this one if you can find the ammo.
3. .223 varmint/target, time to take that experience with the .177 out on a few varmints in the spring.
4. 308 Win, one of the easiest 600 yard cartridges to work with….and a good 1000 yard target/varmint cartridge to boot.
5. 06 or 270, pick and choose
6. 300 MAG, any.
7. Applied Ballistics books….while not a cartridge, with distance shooting having a fundamental understanding of ballistics makes shooting much more enjoyable, for most anyway!
8. 338 Lapua/IMP/Edge
9. 338 AM
10. 375, when better bullets come available.

[FONT=&quot]And the winner in my list, the .177[/FONT]

22 Mag
223 Rem/5,6x50R Mag
308 W
7x65R
7mm RM
30R Blaser
300 WM
8x57IS
8x68S (absolute favourite)
8mm RM

Well I know quite an overwhelming concentration on 8mms, but it's like this. :) Can't do anything about it! :D

1. 22LR
2. 223 Remington
3. 30-30
4. 308 Win
5. 300 Win Mag or 7mm STW or 300 RUM
6. 338 Lapua
7. 350 Rem Mag
8. 375 RUM
9. 45-70
10. 460 Weatherby Mag

What's the preferred 8mm bullet in your neck of the woods?

Most hunters that use 8mms go for the 8x57IS or its rimmed cousin the 8x57IRS (break actions). It became very popular again in the early 90's when wild pigs spread over Europe in record time, and the 8x57 IS is perfect medicine to them. :) It combines good accuracy, terminal performance on almost all kinds of European large game and has low recoil. Like the 308W it's absolutely possible to use it out of (very) short barrels without a significant loss of velocity/energy. Short barreled guns are currently very popular over here. Unfortunately it wasn't meant for LRH and you shouldn't cross the "border" of 300m with it. :rolleyes:
I will stick with the marvellous 8x68S, this top beltless magnum round that is more than good enough for all types of game (included dangerous) in Europe, North America and Africa. Both the 8x68S and 8mm RM are allowed for hunting the BIG FIVE in Central Africa and that by reason. :) I was thinking about a 7mm project for the future, but it'll be a semi - custom in both 8x68S and 8mm RM. Just love them! :D

What's the preferred 8mm bullet in your neck of the woods?

Sorry, maybe I took your question wrongly and answered about the most popular 8mm cartridges over here. :cool:
The most common 8mm bullets for hunting are the bonded premiums in 196 - 200gr and up to 220gr while using 8x68S/ 8mm RM. We strongly prefer penetrating and mushrooming projectiles and keep us away from the fragile types. Most hunting is usually done within ranges between 80 - 200 m. We use both products made by European and American manufactures. Currently the Barnes (T)TSX in 160 and 180gr as well as the GMX from Hornady are getting more and more popular. On the other hand, you find the outstanding MJG – bullet from Lutz Moeller. Hard to beat!
There is one crucial thing still missing, that we'll finally get a real LR - hunting projectile for the 8mms! Then this calibre could even flourish in the USA.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.