Who knew about this tool?!

morning innovative I sign my posted comments with justme.
these r my experiences. I have been reloading for 45yrs. I know
what limits on chambers and cartridge expansion.
again JUSTME gbot tum

I have 8-10 firings currently on my personal 7RM brass and it chambers smoothly and easily every time. I bump the shoulders back .002" just like any other case, and yet my die sizes all the way to the belt as can be seen after FL sizing. Not "max" loads in my rifle, but plenty potent. 180 Hybrid @ 2996fps.

I have a buddy who I load for with a .300WM that is the same. 9 firings so far on his 100 pieces of brass. Not a single issue yet. 215 Hybrid @ 2960fps.

+1
The 7mm RM load I was referring to was a 168 Match King @ 3254 ft/sec and it was definitely over loaded and destroy'd brass until I backed off. That's when I found that a bigger case (7 STW) could
do the same velocity with less pressure and great case life. so now I hold my pressures to 62,000 Psi and use a case size that gets the velocity I want/need.

Belted cases are not a problem if loaded correctly, and the first firing growth can be minimized by seating the bullet against the lands and reducing the powder charge. This process will hold the case in place and allow the shoulder to form at the chamber length without thinning the web of the case, and minimize case length to a reasonable length (Normally .005 to .006 thousandths) instead of .020 to .024+.

I was/am not knocking the tool or the idea of it, just reminding others that If they need it, they have a problem and it needs to be addressed. the tool is definitely useful if a person only has one rifle and the temporary fix is needed but the problem doesn't go away.:)

Fortunately we can discuss issues and give opinions on this site without offending anyone (Most of the time) and learn something in the process.

J E CUSTOM

J E Custom . . . .

Keep in mind that I'm not selling anything here. I'm retired. There are 6,000 shooters using this die, and they use it for a good reason. If you don't need it . . . . that's great. Many of them didn't need it until one day they found that they did. The first 2 or 3 reloads of a case always work fine. All bets are off after that. The testimonials on my website include shooters you may have heard of before, like David Tubb and Craig Boddington.

Your explanation about an "over pressure" bulged chamber is correct (very scientific too). However, the dimensions are in the realm of "tenths of a thousandth" of an inch, and not helpful to the handloader.

What is helpful, is to accurately measure cases where it matters most. Try measuring the diameter of (4) cases with ordinary calipers. Be sure to use the wide part of your caliper blades, and measure just "above" the belt.
  • First, measure a NEW (unfired) case.
  • Then, measure a FIRED case.
  • Then, measure a once fired case that is resized.
  • Then, measure a case that has been resized 3 times.
    I'm not replying to argue. Just see what you get . . . .

J E Custom . . . .

Keep in mind that I'm not selling anything here. I'm retired. There are 6,000 shooters using this die, and they use it for a good reason. If you don't need it . . . . that's great. Many of them didn't need it until one day they found that they did. The first 2 or 3 reloads of a case always work fine. All bets are off after that. The testimonials on my website include shooters you may have heard of before, like David Tubb and Craig Boddington.

Your explanation about an "over pressure" bulged chamber is correct (very scientific too). However, the dimensions are in the realm of "tenths of a thousandth" of an inch, and not helpful to the handloader.

What is helpful, is to accurately measure cases where it matters most. Try measuring the diameter of (4) cases with ordinary calipers. Be sure to use the wide part of your caliper blades, and measure just "above" the belt.

Larry,

It don't get no simpler than that. I don't have the need for it thus far but I like the fact that it is available for end-users and thankful innovative people like yourself made it possible for us. I have known about your product and came highly recommended by my gunsmith but I keep forgetting it until a thread like reminds me. I am a sucker for anything good design and purpose driven. I just placed an order for mine.

Sorry to hear about your health issues, enjoy your retirement.

Cheers!

Ed

J E Custom . . . .

Don't get me wrong, I like having guys like you on this site that Is always thinking outside the box. I also like to do things for the first time that will help others. normally it is to solve or at least identify problems. (I also have several patents and would have many more if it weren't for the Chinese being able to steal them before I could get them into production).

Like you, now I just build things and share with other people.

Being a gunsmith I look at things differently than most, so my opinion and experiences will be different many times.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

J E Custom . . . .

I've been a gunsmith too (continuously since 1969), mostly part time. My website has over 150 pages showing innovative tech tips with shooting & reloading projects designed to motivate shooters and promote the sport. For the most part, shooters (and gunsmiths) are some of the most innovative people out there.

Last edited:
You can definitely need this tool and have everything in spec, I have not seen a pattern for those who need it and this who don't. All my belted reamers have a little tweeting in that area and I can run them hard and a Redding die die will get them down in front of the belt just enough to have about .0005-001 clearance and I haven't had a need in my own reamers for it but I ha e definitely ran into some cases that needed it if Sammi spec chamber is combined with I'll fitting dies. I've even seen custom dies built just for a specific rifle still need the collet die while in spec.

I just this morning found out about this die for belted cases, from Innovative Technologies, called the Belted Magnum Resizing Tool! If I had known this tool existed, this would'v been another reason for me to stay with the 7STW, I still don't like belts but case head separations suck ***, I wouldn't have gone with the 28 Nosler re-barrel. http://www.larrywillis.com/View attachment 115468
Use this for about ten years. Great tool normalizing every load, preventing early cracks, improve chambering , and prolonging life of brass.

If anyone watches " Johnnys reloading bench" on you tube, he just started a 300 win mag reloading series & uses this die, he is also going to do a comparison of standard FL die VS this die. should be interesting.

If anyone watches " Johnnys reloading bench" on you tube, he just started a 300 win mag reloading series & uses this die, he is also going to do a comparison of standard FL die VS this die. should be interesting.
That's where I found out about it. I'm a Patreon supporter of his channel. Even Old Dawgs can learn new tricks, in the reloading game!

I received mine today ...
20190108_165204.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.