Who knew about this tool?!

in spite if this post it has worked well on the brass for each of my rifles.
no i do not mix between guns.
years of reloading on my original lot of brass in my br rifle.
we do not have to live by your rules, life is about choices.

1) Collet resizing the base of the case next to the belt is not necessary with very wimpy loads.
2) Collet resizing the base of the case next to the belt is necessary with hotter loads to get the brass to fit in different rifles.
3) Collet resizing the base of the case next to the belt will not help with very hot loads to get the brass to fit in different rifles.
4) Belted brass fired with very very hot loads should not be reloaded.
5) Belted brass should not be fired in the rifle with very very very hot loads.

I've been everywhere.

Last edited:
morning, 7mm, 300WM, 257wbee, 7mmwbee and 340wbee.
due need to use this very good die at times for resizing
the rim area. been using for about 10yrs. primer holes r
more of a problem. justme gbot tum

Interesting tool.
I don't have one and wonder why anyone should need one. I'm not arguing, just trying to understand why anyone would need a tool like this. (I love tools by the way)

I don't have a rifle or load that would/could resize the belt area so this is new to me. from a builders point of view, ether the chamber is to big for the cartridge or the load is massively over pressured. the other option is that the dies are no good if they are not sizing correctly.

Even when I was young and foolish and loaded beyond Max, I never had the problems described. I fired one rifle in 1000 yard matches that the primer pockets would fail after one firing of most brands. the only brass that I could use that could withstand the pressure was DWM and sometimes it would only make it for 3 firings before the primer would blow or fall out. This load was 3 grains over the max listed and velocity was off the charts.

Interestingly, I never had a problem with sizing it. I normally do a minimum sizing to increase case life so even though the loads were over max and would not re chamber without sizing. I was always able to load and fire them.

This rifle was a 7mm Rem Mag and dies were standard RCBS (At the time we didn't have all of the choices we now have for dies. the barrel had an 1.25 shank and was a 31" long #7 straight taper (Very heavy).

In my opinion if a tool like this is needed, you are ether loading well over maximum loads, your chamber is larger than it should be or your dies are not correctly sized. It could also be a light/small barrel diameter in the chamber area that allows the chamber to expand more than it should allowing the case to expand more than the die can re size. Chamber wall thickness is very important with large magnum cartridges loaded hard. It sounds/looks like a great tool if you have a problem, but I would try to find the problem and not treat the symptoms. I use and build a lot of tools to verify the dimensional precision and if I had this problem, I would have to find out why and correct it. JUST ME.:)

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I patented and manufactured (2) reloading tools that are now used by over 10,000 shooters worldwide. The Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die is the most unique. It can easily make the diameter of handloads fit ANY rifle chamber within a thousandth of an inch. Many handloaders don't understand exactly why problems that plague belted calibers. Chamber pressure has nothing to do with case bulge. Measuring the right places will reveal the whole story.

Case head separation is a totally different issue, and I also designed the Digital Headspace Gauge to solve that problem. Many shooters don't know that case head separations only happen for one reason. It happens when a reloaded case has too much clearance in the chamber. Cases are damaged by cumulative stretching which hardens brass making it "paper thin" and brittle.

Unfortunately, due to health reasons, I had to retire and sell the patent rights to one of my shooting buddies. He will try to keep our products available to shooters for decades to come. However, I will be available by phone to help shooters understand . . . . "the rest of the story".

- Larry Willis

morning, if and when a cartridge comes to the moment of enlarged
rings on the base of the magnum cartridges, after X # of reloadings. I would
use a die of this nature if the cartridge was worth saving for a couple
more reloadings if the cartridge upon inspection was safe for
reloading. as u know different cartridges of different makers
knowingly stretch more or less depending of number of successful
reloadings. years of experienced shooting and reloading r
wonderful tools of knowledge when used properly. justme gbot tum

Just country . . . .

• Any fired case will expand to fit your chamber perfectly, as long as it isn't an extremely weak load.

• Keep in mind that your chamber absolutely limits the amount of case expansion.

• The un-acceptable case expansion of belted cases happens during the reloading process.

• Weakened cases expand more, and they can be reloaded many times.

for the non-believers
how about 15, 18 even 20 reloads on a belted case ?
as has been pointed out this sizes where std dies do not.
your brass fails to chamber after a few reloads..BECAUSE THE STD DIE FAILS, not your brass.
THIS DIE sizes at the base of the belt, your std die then does the shoulder.

Wish they made one for the .378WBY case, although I've yet to have any problems. Necks started splitting around 15th loading.

BULLBLASTER . . . .

I'll bet I've received over 1,000 phoned in orders from shooters that admitted they thought they could do it too. I'm now retired, and I still get those calls.

- Best of luck to you.

If you load belted mags long enough you will eventually run into a rifle with a "long" chamber , then this die will be worth it's weight in gold. I have 4 standard belted mags and my 270 Weatherby needs this die every 3'rd loading. In the others I will use them, depending on brass hardness, not as much. One nice feature of Larry's die is the gauge to check your brass at the opposite end of the die. Real sorry to hear of your health problems Larry. Keep well. Your products are great.

Just country . . . .

• Any fired case will expand to fit your chamber perfectly, as long as it isn't an extremely weak load.

• The reason that cartridges have body taper is to aid in extraction because the case expands with the chamber and the barrel does not reach yield like the brass does. After firing, And the chamber returns to its original dimension and the brass case is slightly larger than the chamber. The hotter the load, the larger the chamber increases in diameter when fired but the brass has exceeded its yield and becomes even tighter when the chamber returns to its original size causing heavy bolt lift.

• Keep in mind that your chamber absolutely limits the amount of case expansion.
With normal loads this is for the most part true but not absolute because you still have to size the cases to keep them the same as the second firing. The chamber will still expand a small amount from the pressure

• The un-acceptable case expansion of belted cases happens during the reloading process.

I have never had belted cases expand during sizing, Only decrease in size
  • Weakened cases expand more, and they can be reloaded many times.

Case expansion is caused by pressure and the alloy of the brass. And in fact a used case becomes tougher with firing and work hardens so it expands less than annealed brass cases or once fired cases no matter what the allow is. this is the reason at some point in the number of firings you have to size to some degree in order to be able to chamber the round without forcing it.

Belted cases have long been a problem for those that treat them like shouldered cases because of the dimensional differences in the two chambers and the loaded ammo.

The belted cases were designed to chamber in the worst environment for safety. And the differences in the dimensions of the loaded ammo and the chamber are as follows.
Belt diameters between the loaded ammo and the chamber are .003 thousandths different (Smaller)
Body dimension at the back of the case is .001 thousandths different
(Smaller) than the chamber.
Body dimension of the ammo at the body shoulder junction are .001 thousandth Smaller than the chamber.
The length of the case from the case head to the neck shoulder junction is .010 shorter than the chamber length and the main reason for the belt. To maintain head space. (And the reason that so many dislike the belted case) if they treat the belted case like a shouldered case and full length size it these dimensions will be present every time it is fired because they are using the belt every time and case life will suffer.
Case overall length of loaded ammo is.024 thousandths shorter than the chamber to allow for case growth when fired.

Once a belted cartridge is fired If it is to be used for dangerous game, it should be full length sized for safety. It is much better to sacrifice a piece of brass than a limb or worse.

If you want to use a belted case/cartridge for long service on big game that does not want to trample or eat you then size only enough to chamber and once it is fired you are no longer using it as a belted case because it is using the shoulder to head space on. When I hear of people using their belted case for 10 to 15 times, they have figured it out and are not over working their brass.

J E CUSTOM

I have 8-10 firings currently on my personal 7RM brass and it chambers smoothly and easily every time. I bump the shoulders back .002" just like any other case, and yet my die sizes all the way to the belt as can be seen after FL sizing. Not "max" loads in my rifle, but plenty potent. 180 Hybrid @ 2996fps.

I have a buddy who I load for with a .300WM that is the same. 9 firings so far on his 100 pieces of brass. Not a single issue yet. 215 Hybrid @ 2960fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.