Who knew about this tool?!

jasonco

I just this morning found out about this die for belted cases, from Innovative Technologies, called the Belted Magnum Resizing Tool! If I had known this tool existed, this would'v been another reason for me to stay with the 7STW, I still don't like belts but case head separations suck ***, I wouldn't have gone with the 28 Nosler re-barrel. http://www.larrywillis.com/
belted magnum collet resizing die.jpg

Oh I needed it. The 7STW was the only cartridge I ran at MAX pressure,for my rifle, all the time, so I never went into the hunting woods, with any case over 2 firings.

I bought one after my .340 Weatherby brass that was fired in the old gun would not chamber in the new barrel, even after full length resizing. The die sizes the brass perfectly , and I can chamber any of my old .340 brass in the new Lilja Match barrel. Saved plenty of money not having to buy all new brass.

Interesting, there is about a 20 page thread elsewhere on this site with legions of adamant experts loudly proclaiming to us, that there is absolutely no downside to having a belt. All the empirical evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.

Yup, remember reading it some I guess 6 to 12 months ago. That company has a number of other innovative tool as I recall.

i have had one as long as i have had my 300 win mag 600/1000 yd br rifle. use it on my mk 13 navy SEAL 300 win mag also. you will go broke buying brass without one.

I've also been using one for 10 years or so and it's worked perfectly. It is needed to only resize that small area above the belt. Lots of dies, for belted cases, won't size that critical area due to the slight bevel at base of die. I have bypassed this problem by using Match reamers to build my current belted builds, but just in case, the collet die is on my bench.

Is a belt needed? No, but after the first firing, I never even think about it.

1) Collet resizing the base of the case next to the belt is not necessary with very wimpy loads.
2) Collet resizing the base of the case next to the belt is necessary with hotter loads to get the brass to fit in different rifles.
3) Collet resizing the base of the case next to the belt will not help with very hot loads to get the brass to fit in different rifles.
4) Belted brass fired with very very hot loads should not be reloaded.
5) Belted brass should not be fired in the rifle with very very very hot loads.

I've been everywhere.

1) I agree, but over several firings with
Insufficient resizing, the collet may
be needed.
2) True, but it's good practice to use a
batch of brass in only one rifle.
3) See #2
4) That's just 1 piece of brass. If it's
very, very hot, pressure signs should
prevent anyone from shooting a
second piece.
5) I agree 100% on this one. Very, very
very hot loads should not be fired in
any rifle, be it belted or not. I stop at
the first very.

I've been around a bit myself, so we must have passed each other several times. I got a kick out of your post. Have a good day.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.