Whitetail bullet

Sierra spitzer boat tail, game kings, or even the newer tipped game kings. I used 124 hammer hunters last year but I don't feel that anything fancy is necessary inside of 200 yards. The spitzer bt is my favorite and is used by everyone in our hunting party with great results.

Man, for about an hour I was ready to jump into a 375 raptor. However I talked myself back from the cliff, and reminded myself I am a huge fan of KISS, and adding another caliber especially one like that is not KISS.

Hey guys,
In my current hunting location I am taking shots from 15 FEET to about 120 YARDS. More often than not, the shots are on the closer end. I plan on using a shorter barreled 260 this year. What's the best hunting bullet that will expand that close. Maybe I'm just over thinking it and any 6.5 hunting bullet will do it.
99g hammer hunters

Man, for about an hour I was ready to jump into a 375 raptor. However I talked myself back from the cliff, and reminded myself I am a huge fan of KISS, and adding another caliber especially one like that is not KISS.
LOL, this brings us back full circle to your OP.
Hey guys,
In my current hunting location I am taking shots from 15 FEET to about 120 YARDS. More often than not, the shots are on the closer end. I plan on using a shorter barreled 260 this year. What's the best hunting bullet that will expand that close. Maybe I'm just over thinking it and any 6.5 hunting bullet will do it.

Use the highest quilting bullet that you can find at close range. Many years ago i shot a mulely buck at 20 yards and then again at 15 yards and he keep running and i was going to shoot him the 3rd time but said to myself "you just shoot him in the front shoulder twice with a 7 mag", he's dead he just doesn't know it. Wrong! I trailed him up hill for 3/4 of a mile and picked up 0ver a foot of bone and I never found him. After sharing my experience with an older wiser man than me he explained that my bullet had exploded on impact and never penetrated. I switched over to swift Scrocco. I would have never believed it if i hadn't experienced it myself.

Try these...put 'em right down

1713189409964.png

SPEER 140 HOT COR!!!
Easy to load low cost cup and core that is as good as most high end bullets.

They held together very well @ 2900+fps in my 24" 6.5-284 from 50 out to 250 yards without the explosive nature of other bullets mentioned here... so they should work great in your short barreled 260!

Last edited:
In the past, I have used old Rem Core Lokt. The reason I am looking past them is they did not expand as I had hoped.
Growing up we always shot Rem Core Lokt in .308 Win. However, after being frustrated with lack of close shot penetration I stopped using them completely. For what you are wanting to do I would go with a mono bullet.

I'm not in favor of states mandating non-lead bullets but I do not like what I see of lead core bullets remnants in ballistic gel.