.243 bullet for whitetail

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by rangerman, Oct 13, 2011.

1. rangerman

rangerman Well-Known Member

I have a .243 Savage that shoots the 95 grain Nosler Balllistic Tip bullet sub- 1/2 moa at 100 yards. I would like to use it for short-range (out to 200 yards) stand hunting for whitetail but I am wondering if it is enough to do the job. I have a 300 RUM and 7Mag that I have used with the a-max's and NBT's and they have worked exceptionally well. Any input from your experiences would be appreciated.

2. Fitch

Fitch Well-Known Member

Yes.

Fitch

3. 6mm Remington

6mm Remington Well-Known Member

You will be fine with that bullet. I personally like a little tougher bullet like the 90 gr. Nosler E-tip, 90 gr. Nosler Accuond, or the 95 or100 gr. Nosler Partition. That all being said though, the 95 gr. Ballistic tip will work fine. Good shot placement trumps everything else. Good luck hunting!

4. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Will work

5. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

.243 is perfect for inside 200 yards on deer.

6. ragsflh

ragsflh Well-Known Member

243 is good at 200yds with 90 gr

7. rangerman

Would I be better with a different bullet other than the NBT? Maybe an accubond or partition? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

8. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

The Ballistic Tip will do the job, provided you do yours. Shot placement is always critical, no matter the caliber or energy. We owe it to the animals.
    I have used the 90 or 95 gn Ballistic Tip for groundhogs out to 600yds successfully. They're as accurate a bullet as any out there and are actually better suited for LR rather than close in shots (not counting close head shots).
    For a tougher bullet look at the 90gn Swift Scirocco II or the 85gn Barnes TSX. I haven't used either in this caliber but the Swift has the same tangent ogive as the Nosler and some find them just as accurate in their rifles. The Barnes is just plan tough as nails! The Triple Shocks I have shot (.257/.284) were also very accurate and penetrated thoroughly. I recovered a .257 100gn TSX in 2003 that weighed 99.805gn. The bullet was recovered from the chest of a 150lb 6-pt whitetail shot from 200yds running almost straight away. He piled up at the shot.
    Good luck in your quest. JohnnyK.

9. rangerman

Thanks for your advice and help. I have 50 or so of the BT's already loaded but was wondering if I ought to get some accubonds or partitions. I like the accuracy of the BT's so I may just stick with them since bullet placement does trump everything else.
    If anyone else has any experiences with the accubonds or partitions on whitetails or muleys I would appreciate your input.
    Thanks again.

10. CogburnR

CogburnR Well-Known Member

The NBT's you have are fine and also the AB and partition.

One of the best deer killing bullets for the .243 is the 85g HPBT Sierra Gameking which is what I would use. It will make a hole no matter what. It may not weigh much if you recover it after going through two shoulders of a large buck but the hole between will be pretty big...

11. tnshooter111

tnshooter111 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can buy the 243 90gr AB just yet. They made a very limited run during the summer but sold out.

12. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Well-Known Member

That 85gr Sierra GameKing is an absolute hammer on deer...great choice!!!!