Whitetail bullet choice for .300 Win Mag?

deermaster

Where I hunt, I have just as much chance at a 25 yd shot as I would 400 yds. Our deer are 175lb for an average buck 100lbs for does, but can push well over 200lb on mature deer.
I will be shooting factory ammo, max range 400 yds, average range 175-220yds. How well do the cheap Walmart Remington Express Corloks perform on deer at these ranges? They are deadly accurate in both 150 and 180 gr. What weight would be best for whitetail?

300 wm has plenty power and to spare for whitetails. i shoot 165 baltip but a 150 or 180 core loct are fine.

for what you're describing, the core-locs are great. i'd go with the 180's because the 150's will probably blow a shoulder off at close range!

If the Core-Lokt's are accurate then they will do what you're needing at the range specified. I also used the 165gn Ballistic Tips with my first .300. This year I used the 178gn A-Max and it performed well. The range was 200yds and it knocked him flat, DRT! JohnnyK.

Go with the 180 accubonds
great upclose and at 400 + yds

But either of the corelocks would be fine as well

I have used the 165g Interbonds and Interlocks and like them pretty well.

165 Core Lokts work fine.I buy them in bulk and load them for my buddies(COB's).

I use 180 gr Ballistic tips. Last five whitetail from 80 yards out to 390 yards either fell in their tracks or less than 20 yards.

I have used Remington Coreloks in the past with great accuracy. They don't always hold together well in my experience. Try some Winchester Super X Power Point 165's. Dave Petzal rated them as a great mushrooming bullet.

tried the .150 gr. bullets for more speed but accuracy went down the drain ,returned to .180gr. bullets and it worked for me . even with the BOSS on my browning a-bolt i could not stabilize the .150 winchester supreme accubond .

I use Hornady 165 Gr. SST's and they are awesome! I have shot many deer with them and not one has taken a step. I have also taken them to the range at 500 yards and kept 8 of 10 shots in a 1 MOA group and 5 of those 10 were in the 1/2 circle. I highly recomend them.

300 wm has plenty power and to spare for whitetails. i shoot 165 baltip but a 150 or 180 core loct are fine.

I agree with the 165 ballistic tips....especially if you can find some Federal Premium withe the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tips....unfortunately, Federal does not manufacture that bullet any longer.

ANYONE that has some 165 grain Federal Premium Nosler Ballistic Tips in 300 Win Mag that would like to sell them, shoot me a line:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.