.22-250 bullets for whitetail

brandonc46

I ended up trading away my 7mm Rem mag for a nice Remington 700 SPS varmint in .22-250. I know it isn't a great caliber for whitetails, but I was curious if anyone has had any past experience hunting deer with the .22-250. Any recommendations on factory ammo? I do not handload or I would go that route.

Thanks

Only bullet I would trust in that round would be the nosler partitions. Federal has factory loads with them. Product number p22250g.
With the speed of that bullet I want something I know won't fail and that is the bullet. Either that or the Barnes. I prefer the partitions but Barnes makes a tuff bullets also.

I ended up trading away my 7mm Rem mag for a nice Remington 700 SPS varmint in .22-250. I know it isn't a great caliber for whitetails, but I was curious if anyone has had any past experience hunting deer with the .22-250. Any recommendations on factory ammo? I do not handload or I would go that route.

Thanks

none I can think of. Bullet construction is the issue
gary

Let me state first I have not used mine for deer but have used my 223 and have had great luck with the federal loaded portions on pigs at reply close range of 10 yards. These are shots right in the vitals not the neck were most any bullet will work. On a side note I havea close fremind that has used a 22-250 for years on whitetail. He swore by just cheap soft points. That was until he hit one at about 50 yards it did kill the deer but not in an ethical way. Lost of damage but not much penetration. He has since switch to partitions. Just makes sure its a tuff blet and you will have no worries.

X2 on the Barnes and Noslers ! ! ! They are about the only ones in factory ammo that will hold up to the little .22/250. Not sure if they make them any longer, but Federal Fusion had those 62gr. TBBC that held up well for me. I had a .22/250 culling rifle that was deadly ! ! ! It sported a 26" 1:8 tube and I shot the 75gr. Swift Scirocco on top of 38 grs. of H4350, it moved along around 3300/3350 fps. Any animals' neck that the crosshairs laid upon was lights-out! ! ! I even dumped a big blue rouge Brahma bull for a customer at 157 big steps from the truck door. Put the crosshairs just below his ear on the neck and it was like someone turn his switch off. . .DRT ! ! ! I'm not saying that the .22/250 is a deer machine, because there are far better choices out there. . .but with the right bullet, in the right spot, in the right hands, it's a long range killer no question about it. I've taken out hundreds of hogs and deer with that little round. Good luck.

I love 250s and have killed some whitetails with them. My grand dad had used on for years and he swears by the winchester and combined technology ballistic tips. But he also doesn't use it past 150-170. I would rather have a hollow point or soft point myself. The last one I shot was with a pistol and 52 gr hpbt sierra mk. I know its a match bullet. Here is what happened to me on this 70 yard shot. It was a medium sized doe that and a beautiful broadside shot. I was curious about bullet performance so I placed the shot accordingly. I aimed in the shoulder but toward the back side of the shoulder toward softer tissue. It was a pass through shot. The exit hole was about 1.5" diameter. She ran 40' to the treeline and disappeared. I sat there a minute and called for a truck. When I walked to where she was standing, there was a chunk of pink meat lying on the ground. The blood trail was almost non existent to the treeline. Once to the trees I the trial was about a foot wide. I peeked into the trees and seen her laying about 20-25 yards in. I followed the blood trail to her though. It opened up to about 8 foot wide. I had never seen this before. There was blood everywhere. When we skinned her out I paid close attention to damage. The only bone that was touched was the very edge of a rib. The bullet went straight through her and caused massive damage. I don't see how she made it that far but she did. I believe my velocity at impact should have been somewhere and 36-3700 ( I have chronoed this load yet). This is my experience and would not recommend this for and above 190-200 yards. Goodluck with your rifle.

I say NONE!

well we regularly see 250lb. bucks around here, with an occasional 300lb. buck. You could say the samething about all the Midwestern states, and heading into Michigan is another story where a 300lb. deer is a common sight. Something like a .257 Roberts will work very well, but please don't be thinking .22 anything!
gary

Tougher bullet is good. To be fair though, a friend's dad took his cow elk last year with a .22-250 =O Heart shot behind the leg

I know a guy who has killed many dozens of deer with a 22-250. It's all he hunts with. And he uses hollow point bullets. He only takes broadside, lung shots. No shoulder shots. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but it's what he does. I personally do not hunt deer with anything less than a 243.

I have used both 60gr Partitions and 50gr Barnes in 223Rem with excellent results on Whitetails. For those looking to reload, Rocky Mountain Reloading has the 62gr Federal Fusion pulled bullets priced at $40/250 right now. I don't know if or how well they stabilize in 1/12 or 1/14 barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.