Which three must have calibers.

22, 30, 45
More specifically 22 magnum, 300 magnum (of your brand preference) and 45/70 for close heavy work.

That being said I own ten centerfire rifles and not only are none of them a 300 magnum, but I only own one 30 caliber that is a model 99 Savage in 308 I bought more because it was a great buy and is identical to my mom's rifle that I used some as a kid. I took it elk hunting one year and killed an elk with it when I needed a brush gun and had loaned my dad my 270, but otherwise it just gathers dust in the safe.

Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

Sorry for the edit, but say up to elk for large game.

i think you can hunt everything in North America with these 2 calibers with proper bullet selection:
6mm
6.5mm

My go to chambering is the .300 WM from antelope to elk size game up to 1K
yards.

NOTE:
Anthing beyond the 1K yard mark will go with the .33, .338 RUM or more powder capacity, esp. for the majestic wapiti. I think peeps forget that this is LRH.

Last edited:
Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

For most hunting, I would wan't to have a minimum caliber of 6.5 and up to .338 as a maximum.
For larger game, including dangerous game something starting with a 375 caliber and up. For small game, 6mm and down.

So my choices would be 7mm, 30 cal, and 338 for the three I would want to have. These would/will fill all of my needs.

J E CUSTOM

300 WinMag bolt rifle. .308 Win. AR-10. 1911 .45ACP

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.