Coyote must have's!

Bman940

What would you suggest for a new coyote hunter ?
What are necessities ? Accessorries and extras?
Best time of the year to hunt for your part of the country.
This is my year to really put in some time and miles coyote hunting.
Bman940
Nikon Pro Staff

Thank you , I didn't think about the seat.
I read Greg Ballards articles on C. Hunting and realized shooting stix would be huge. Lots of good makes on the market today.
Appreciate your time to chime in !

Question- Why not put a ultra fine crosshair in the middle of the circles on the coyote special.

I didn't buy one specifically because of not having any crosshair that I could use when sighting in. Granted I have never even looked through one in an actual shooting situation. But you know "aim small, miss small" what I always go by. Dont get me wrong im in LOVE with the open circle idea, I just wish their was a fine aiming point such as Nikon's Fine crosshair like the one available in the 6.5-20 Monarch, in addition to the lovely open circles.

Would have just bought a buckmaster but couldnt find one offered in the Brush Camo pattern, perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

As far as the necessities your prolly gonna need a facemask *Dont forget a mouth hole so you can blow your howler's and distress calls*. I would use solid gloves, not the mesh kind you use when turkey hunting. Coyote **** smells pretty strong and will run folks out of the cabin if you get too much on your hands when dragging one up. If its urine is on the leg you grab :)

A turkey vest is handy to wear due to all the pockets. If you carry multiple calls that have removeable mouthpieces or tubes, and hunt up untill its dark, its handy to keep a small flashlight to aid in finding dropped mouthpieces/calls in the grass when you get up to leave.

Dont drink a coke while your calling *getting Mtn. Dew flavored spit on your calls* then set them down on the ground beside you when there is an ant hole nearby. Ants on the hot dog howler makes for a nice surprise.

Ironically enough I have had to take a Slingshot and a bag of marbles on my last two sets. I had to shoot some heifers in the rear to get them to run off. They followed me in to the field and clustered around me in a semi-circle the first time I called at this particular farm. They were fascinated by the rabit in distress and wouldnt leave me alone. The first set all I saw was a bunch of cows bellowing at me from close range lightbulb So I took along the old wrist rocket the next time and stung em in the bum a few times and off they went.

This is the seat I have

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/...-8099-DF11-904F-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

Last edited:
I don't have an answer for you on the cross hairs in the middle of the center circle.
Interesting thought.... I have not had an issue with it in sighting in at 100 yards then using Nikons Spot On Ballistic MAtch Technology Program to adjust for magnification. Pretty cool if you haven't already checked it out.
Great ideas about hunting. I laughed at the not drinking soda deal because of ants if you set it down. Makes you sound like a Texas hunter who will avoid fireants at all costs! Ditto for me too. My kids sling shot and marbles are a part of my turkey hunting bag, I will bring it when I go for 'yotes. I have lost 2 hen decoys to cows chewing on the heads!
I may go the rubber glove route to if it'snot to cold. I have a buddy who wants the hides so I'll bring them back for him to take care of.

Seat, camo (facemask makes it easier), minimum 12 power scope if you want to take them out a long distance away. I also take a few different calls to mix it up if one doesn't seem to work.

unfortunetly, the coyotes that I've wacked were both shot with .223s (ARs), and on the run. so much for calling them in. I also **** near blew one in 1/2 using Hornady 55grn SPSX reloads. I hit it mid section and it came out the size of a basketball - good times when you're 14, not so good if you want to keep the fur.

Hey,
One thing I found to be great is to take a coyote tail or streamer of some sort and put the coyote pee on it and carry it to every stand. It doubles as a smell stick and motion like a rabbit. Motion that is away from you is always a good thing.

One that I found out call last year with places that have been hunted a lot is to mix pup yeps in between every rabbit distress section. I got a many coyotes scared coyotes last year that came in real slow with this tactic.

One last thing, I hunting in southern Idaho where you can see forever so the farther you can walk from your truck the better sometimes up to a mile before calling.
hope this helps
Eric

For as the Nikon scope with the BDC ooo's go i just sold all of mine because of the OOO's being to thick and covering up to much of the target. for as yote hunting goes a hell of a lot of land to hunt on is always nice. I have 50,000ac to hunt on to my self and some times i fill its to small if i hunt it a lot. a good decoy like the mojo is good to have. i always like having a 12ga with me. A good hunting parter that you can count on going is nice but hard to find. Most guys are scared of there wife.LOL

Shooting sticks is a really good idea. I use mouth calls so I have my gun at my shoulder in the shooting position at all times. I never have my gun in my arms or across my lap. Way too much movement. Coyotes are very intent on seeing you first.
I little pad to sit on is nice. You can stay still longer if your comfortable.
Good camo. Pay particular attention to your face and hands. Your face is quite prominant while your sitting there and your hands will be moving as you call. One of those face nets helps to hide your hand movements because you can reach up underneath it. No flashy guns. My shotgun is spray painted camo and my 22-250 is taped up. One of those anti-flash screens that fit over the front lense on your scope is a good idea.
Your setup is most important. I try to sit on an elevated spot where I can see a long ways. You really want to see them first. I try to sit in the shade. I also like a good tree to lean against. You have to hunker down too low in the sage. It's hard to see without poking your head too far above the sage.
Your approach is also important. Try to sneak up a wash or through some trees. Use anything to get you to your stand undetected. It's amazing how aware coyotes are.
I'll post more as I think of more.

The best time to hunt coyotes is right now. The old dogs haven't been hunted for a while and the young of the year are mostly grown and have never heard a call. Their coats aren't prime yet but they respond to a call readily.
Thanksgiving time is when me, my dad and my brother use to skin all the mink and fox on the family mink farm. I'm assuming coyotes would be at their prime about the same time too. It would still be too early for the casual coyote caller to be out so the calling would be good and the furs would be primed up.

50,000 acres being to small.....wow, I guess you really cover some ground?
Good idea carrying a coyote tailk with you....
A buddy who hunts yotes says he uses a mojo dove of all things, placed about 20 yards away from where he sits, makes them concentrate on it and not him I guess.
I have some camo netting I put over my son when turkey hunting to hide his moveemnts, you can still see thru it and it hides you too.
Jeff, Sorry you didn't like the BDC retiicles. I guess it's one of those things you have to get used to at the range or it's one of those things you just can't get used to , either way we all have to use what works best for us. I recently took part in a big shoot in St. Louis where guys who had not used the Nikon BDC scopes were hitting metal gongs at 630 yards....
We had the Spot On Ballistic Match Technology Program printed out for each scope and the guys loved it. If you haven't looked at the Program check out it out at Nikonhuning.com, I think you will be impressed.

Yesterday I spoke to 3 friends who have deer leases and they all said yes to me going with them coyote hunting, after deer season! None of them have done it before but they have all wanted to try it. I think that is a common theme of a lot of folks. THey just need the opportunity and as so many guys have been telling me, you'll be hooked! I just hope this addiction won't be as bad as turkey hunting!

What would you suggest for a new coyote hunter ?
What are necessities ? Accessorries and extras?
Best time of the year to hunt for your part of the country.
This is my year to really put in some time and miles coyote hunting.
Bman940
Nikon Pro Staff

Something soft and warm to sit on. A good open reed hand call. Bipod or sticks to steady your aim and hold your rifle in a ready position. Binoculars or rangefinder. Gloves.

I am looking at mouth calls and from what folks have said the open reed ones take some time to get used to, thoughts? I have been a duck caller for a long time but according to my "friends" not a great one, ok, good one.
What tone should I look at. Pup, rabbit,?????

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.