Must haves for long range...

The willingness to unlearn things you're absolutely certain are correct.

This the biggest problem I see when someone talks to me about long range and ballistics. I love a 270 win but I can't stand it when someone tells me it is or a lesser or greater cartridge does not drop at 400-450. But at the same time they have done it in the field so it must be true. :D:D

An ACCURATE DATA BOOK....that YOU keep!!

Bingo...this is how it's been done for decades; before hand held laser range finders, hand held weather stations/wind meters, and ballistic calculators. A .308 with a fixed 10x scope with mildots in the hands of an experienced shooter can still be one of the deadliest tools around.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the little gadgets are a great asset but dependency on them is a hindrance.

The best LRF and spotter you can afford, Kestrel AB, handloads with ES in the single digits, bipod, rear bag/monopod, tripod, shooting mat, data book, and sunscreen. Be sure to use pencils with your data book, not pens. Pens don't work so well below freezing. Ever had pen crap all over your data book in 90 degree heat? I have... it's a ton of fun. That should about cover it ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.