Does Long Range have to be long distance?

200 yards or 1300 yards shot on deer are both considered long range. It depends on condition, bullet and gun. Some gun effectively send bullets to kill elk at 1300 yards and some can only go to about 600 yards to meet the minimum impact velocity for expansion of the bullet and energy of course. No expansion usually results in wounded animal.

For target shooting, some go over 2500 yards.

What are we gonna say?

"Oh I shoot long range, do you?"
"Why yes I do..."
"Well how far?"
"Up to 400 yards and you?"
"900 Yards."
"Whaaaa???"

My answer is 200 yards is a long distance and is considered long range. We all have our comfortable long range shooting due to equipment we have. :)

The definition of Long Range probably coincides with where you hunt and the distances you are use too.

Where I used to hunt 150 yds was considered long. Where I hunt now I consider 300 yds a long but good percentage shot for me if everything is perfect. Anything over this and I will pass until I get better.

300 to alot of Hunters on this board is a chip shot. Any distance that gets you out of your comfort zone is Long Range in my book.

Last edited:
In that case then 1500 yards and over is considered long range to many of those long range shooters. LOL! :D

Some are accurate beyond 2000 yards with the right stuff.

LONG RANGE....is the distance that the shooter isn't 100% certain that the shot can be put where it's intended to be put!! SIMPLE!!

About 99.5% of shooters fall into this category!!lightbulb

" Does Long Range have to be long distance? "

Absulutely not!!

Totally relative to size of target, shooting position (off hand, sitting supported, prone w/ bipod, ect.)

Also totally relative to cartridge, optic magnification, BC of projectile, wind effect, ect.

An 800 yd lung shot on an antelope with a 338 edge (.8+ BC) with high powered precision optics from a supported prone position on a relatively calm day is childs play.........compared to a 400 yd shot on a prarie dog with a .223 (.2 something BC) from the same position with same optics in gusty winds.

Or how about a 400 yd shot at a coyote at night with spot light, standing and leaning against the pickup.....when all you can see are the eyes and a slight outline/shadow of the body??

Or, how about a 300 yd head shot on a deer from an unsupported sitting position with grandpa's 30-30 and open sights.........or scope either one??

Again, totally relative............"Long Range" being long distance only is BS with todays equipment and technology.

Yes, over 1/2 mile is long range for vast majority of shooters, just about any way we slice it, but that wasn't the question. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.