Why does this have to be so difficult??

Pbailey

I must be the most indecisive person I know! I have looked at just about every single "which caliber should I get" thread and "this caliber vs. this caliber" thread as well! I just need to make up my mind and go with it. With today's technology and parts, extreme accuracy is attainable with a plethora of calibers.

Basically, here is what it boils down to: This will be my first long range rifle. I am just getting into it, and learning all that I can. I just need to make up my mind, get off the computer and get onto the range!

I am building off of a stevens 200 long action, with one of the main drop-in barrels, Rifle-basix trigger, Stockade stock, and vortex scope. I live in Southern Oregon and my main target will be Blacktail Deer, and I do not see myself shooting at live targets over 800 yards, but I will be shooting at targets out to 1000. I also reload: but because I am pretty new to the game, It would be nice to have a caliber that is easy to reload for, and will not take a trip to the moon to find an accurate load for it.

With deer being my main target, I have basically decided that a 7mm bullet is what I want. A little more weight and less wind drift than a 6.5, but less recoil than a bigger 300.

Right now, the calibers that I am tossing around are (In order): 7mm remington Mag, 7STW, and 7WSM. I am not really that interested in a 7 ultra mag or a SAUM right now.

I really just want to buy the barrel, and start shooting! I know that this type of thread has been started before...but I had to. Theres tons of great guys and info around here, so please, please give any insight and info that you can!

Thank you very much!

With those choices I would throw put the STW, it's in the same class to me as the RUM.

Next up, what caliber is the current action you have and will it need to be modified to run either the Rem mag or WSM? If one will work with out modification then you have your choice! If the both will work or both need modified, I choose the 7rem mag.

They both shoot almost the same, one can be ran out of a short action, but why would you.

A 168 Berger at 3100fps and your golden to 1000 on black tail!

Pick one and stop reading about the others. Shoot the hell out of it and if you find you need more donkeys later just change the barrel.

The donor action is from a brand new 7mm rem mag, so the action itself should be fine for either. But I do already have RCBS FL dies for the 7rem mag, so I may just do that...

Your action is from a brand new 7mm Rem Mag. How is the barrel?

The 7mm Rem Mag is a fine cartridge. Just make sure to setup you dies with .001" of headspace off the SHOULDER not the belt and you won't have any problems.

Is the action a Large shank or small shank?

AJ

Choose the 7mm rem mag. It has a lot of good components easily available, tons of reload data, is ballistically a proven performer, and reasonably economical to shoot. The only thing that will ever know the difference is your wallet.

I got my first 7mm Mag in 1976 and my first 7mm STW in about 1990 and I'm a huge fan of both.

My advice given your criteria would be to go ahead and get the STW and get at least a 26 if not 28" bbl.

From 800yds and beyond the extra 200-400fps will really make a big difference for you.

Small shank.

Could you give me an idea, or tips on how to head space .001 off the shoulder with FL dies? thank you

The STW is a step up from the 7RM, just make sure you have enough room in your magazine. The STW finished length is around .3" longer than the 7RM.

You can't go wrong either way.

AJ

Small shank.

Could you give me an idea, or tips on how to head space .001 off the shoulder with FL dies? thank you

I use the redding competion shell holders, makes it so much easier just set your die for full length sizing and use the shell holders. You'll need a head space gauge and calipers as well, I believe hornandy makes some I have the sinclair.

And +1 for the 7 rem mag. I have been trying to decide between this and a 300 ultra. I have come to the conclusion that the 7 rem mag will be better as an intermediate step in learning longrange shooting, less recoil/powder/blast. After this barrel is shot out though I will rebarrel to the 300 Ultra. From what I have gathered the 7 stw is a better performer but barrel life is less, some might say significantly less. As far as the 7 wsm with the long action you might as well go the the 7 RM once you head space it off the shoulder the belt is meaningless

You say you have the action. If it still has the factory barrel, consider shooting it as-is in the 7mm Rem Mag and seeing how well it shoots. You might save $ for a while.

I'd also go with the 7mm Rem Mag (if you need to go with a new barrel) due to the high availability of brass and other components. You can always go bigger once you have done this for a while, and can always have a brake added if you wish. It's a great caliber to use for your first long range rifle.

And to your question. You would like to have a 7mm WSM with a long throat as to not seat your 168-180 VLD below the base of the neck. It isn't difficult at all!! Long magnums are a waist of powder, short magnums can be extremely efficient so long as you are not wasting space by seating them down into the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts