Which caliber?

original 284 has a .025 taper, this one is blown out to a .010 taper and the shoulder is pushed forward to a 40 degree. I am having this done on my old pushfeed M70 30-06 that I bought when I was 14. It will have a 29" krieger 5R sendero taper. Hopefully it shoots as good as my buddies.

No way. 284win is more like 3000 with 140s, 2850 with 162Amax, maybe 2700 with 180VLDs.

I hate to burst your buble, but I know at least two people who are getting 2950++ with Berger 180s/RL-17 out of a 284 in thier 1000 rigs...30" tubes and custom action.

I have no Idea how stiff the loads are...brass life...ect...but that's the velocity.

Spencer, go to 6mmbr.com and click on the 7mm tab on the left side of the screen. It will take you to a page that will compare different 7mm cartridges.

I know, yes, and I've read just about every article on 6mmbr. Tube length being the biggest factor here. I know it'll do it, that's why I wrote the original post the way I did.

P.S. The 284 Improved cited decreases body taper by .010", not to .010"; and the shoulder is left at 35deg. This is the 284 shehane, discribed on 6mmbr. There are countless "Improved" versions of every cartrige, so I'm sure there is one that does exactly what you're describing.

Oh, and I may start adding *grin* at the end of my setences, since no one on this site can pick up on sarcasm or joking in my posts.:D

Please review the link I provided providing accurate competition data.

This is proven and not someones arbitrary numbers.

There is more to improving a cartridge than the shoulder angle. The point of these forums is to learn, not throw around discrediting claims without looking at the facts first.

Spencer, you are correct about the shehane improved. The improved my shooting partner designed is different with only .010 (took .015 off) taper and blown forward to a 40 degree shoulder. Ours is different then the shehane.

Bassin93. Do you have a reamer print?

I was thinking of designing a similar improvement but if you've already done it, no sense reinventing the wheel.

Maybe I could rent your reamer?

Please review the link I provided providing accurate competition data.

This is proven and not someones arbitrary numbers.

There is more to improving a cartridge than the shoulder angle. The point of these forums is to learn, not throw around discrediting claims without looking at the facts first.

You really didn't read my post, did you?

Go to the post right before your's, and read the whole thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.