Which three must have calibers.

In Texas:

6.5 Creed
300 win mag

I will add:
The biggest game changer for me has been (by far) the suppressor. If I was forced to only have one rifle for absolutely everything it would be the 7mag. Suppressed it's just sweet death. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt coyotes to elk etc with mine. But given 3 rifles I would prefer to have the capability of 215's in the 300 for larger game.

Last edited:
.22LR, 6.5 & 300

I would train with the .22LR. Time spent on a .22 for trigger control has done wonders. The 6.5 CM and .300 WSM will handle anything else you need. I've got my WSM set up to shoot 210's at 2850. I actually use it for everything from white tail to elk. The 6.5 has been allocated to the range for shooting steel.

I am assuming that you do already have a .22 caliber rim fire. Then I would opt for a .243 Win., .270 Win. and a .300 Wby. Mag. This all I need for coyotes, deer size game, and the bigger stuff like elk and moose in central Alberta. We have so many ground squirrels and other pests that need a .22 Rim fire. I would have more than this but this is what you asked for.

Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

Sorry for the edit, but say up to elk for large game.

Elk are medium in Alaska...

.260/6.5 C
338 Win

Seems like everyone else is reading the question as only three, if only three:
22 LR
12 ga

Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

Sorry for the edit, but say up to elk for large game.
300 win mag, 243, 270 win

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts