which laser range finder?

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by firefly, Aug 11, 2006.

1. firefly

firefly New Member

Hello,
    I would like to get a top notch LRF, to range easily to say 1400 yards... any ideas? I know the swaro is pretty good, but what about these models: Bushnell 1500, Newcon 1500/2500? I dont mind paying the price as long as the quality goes with it.
    thanks for the help,
    firefly

2. col48

col48 Well-Known Member

hi
    there has been a couple of chaps on hear done a few tests with different R/F and they all come up with swaro.
    so if you have the cash,i think thats the one.
    thanks
    Colin

PS do a search and the tests should come up.

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    hi
    there has been a couple of chaps on hear done a few tests with different R/F and they all come up with swaro.
    thanks
    Colin

[/ QUOTE ]

All very true! Spot on!

4. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

If you've got the cash, give me a call or shoot me an email. I don't think you'll find a better price!!!

5. lerch

lerch <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

The only way to go is the swaro, dont waste time with starting cheap and trying to make something work. spend the money right off the bat and get a swaro, it will work and you will be happy.

take it easy
    steve

6. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

I second that, Lerch is right, buy the Swaro. I have one and it's awesome!

Wildcat

7. gafferq2xl

gafferq2xl Well-Known Member

I tried to find the test post you spoke of.....no luck.

The Swaro's are certainly the stand alone in the rangfinder class but, I'm going to sell my 10X42 EL's and 3 rangfinders and pick up a set of the Leica 10X42 Geovid BFR w/LRF. I wish they had these when I bought my EL's. These are not only among the best in bino's (not a differance to my eye with EL's when I bought them) but and intergrated LFR!!!! One less thing to fumble with and carry. I'm hitting Cabela's within a few weeks and I'll be doing my business then. I'll still keep my STS80 HD though.

[ QUOTE ]
    hi
    thanks
    Colin

[/ QUOTE ]

8. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

speaking of the geovids, has anyone compared them to the swaro as far as rangfinding capabilities? love having both of them in one unit, but dang....$$$$$$$

9. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

In my brief experience w/the Geovids I found them to be no better than the 1200 scan. I think they rate it @ 1300 yds instead of 1200 though. Might be a little better, but the Swaro will range circles around both.

10. lerch

I took out a geovid and a swaro one day but i only had about 15min to play with them. First I compared the 1200 and the geovid. there was no real difference between the glass in the 2 leica's, ranging was a little bit farther with the geovid and it was a very comfortable unit to hold, much better than the 1200.

When i compared the swaro and the geo I did like the geo's reticle better but there was no comparison in long ranging ability. I lost the geovid at about 1200yds and the swaro bounced back a quick reading of 1500 something yards. Glass was slightly better in the swaro and both were comfortable to hold. While the swaro is a monocular it works just fine as a pure optic tool.

At this point in time the swaro is the king of the hill.

take it easy
    steve

11. Freebore

Freebore Well-Known Member

Lerch,
    I don't here much about the new Leupold rangefinder that does the math for you. I have the Lieca scan 1200 and like it for what I do. Has anyone tested the Leupold yet or better yet any field use experiences?

12. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

goodgrouper, tested the Leupold and in short, don't waste your money.... The Swarovski is the King of Long distance rangeing without peer, in it's price range

13. lerch

GoodGrouper and I both have done a test with the Swaro, leica, and leup. Do a search and you can find the info.

The swaro is definantly the king of the hill, dont waste you money on the leup.

steve

14. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

thanks for the info on the geovids, good to hear, thanks, jon