Range finder

gettheleadout

Can anyone suggest a good quality rangefinder. I am going for moose and need one that will operate in rain/overcast weather. thanks

Wby Man:

One word: Swarovski. If you want something a little lower in price and with less range then I'd suggest the Leica 1200. Remember the unit with the most range will range the farthest under adverse conditions. If it's raining very hard you will have trouble getting any unit to range because of all the rain drops.

I have a Swarovski 1500 that is like NIB and has all papers , box etc . that I will sell for 700.00 plus shipping . It performs as others here have testified to , I simply want to try others in order to make my own judgement/ experience first hand what is out there .

Let me know if you ( or anyone ) is interested .

Jim B.

I have the bushnell 1500 elite. It has worked great in all conditions. Ranges deer and elk out to 1000yards per the company. I have tested it out to 916yds. I am very happy with it. I have direct reports from troops in the field that they have used this range finder in Iraq and Afganistan with great results. It's tough and accurate.

Opti-Logic makes a good one for less than $400. I have ranged things to 1200+yds. Friends have then too now, after seeing what mine does compared to there's.

You didn't state what kind of range you need to be able to find. In my opinion for $300 the best you are going to be able to do is a nikon 800. That will take you to 600. If you want to range farther you are going to have to spend about $400. For that you can get into the Nikon 1200 or the new leupold. The leupold even accounts for elvation differences between you and your target. I have never had much luck with the bushnell rangefinders although i haven't tried with the elites. Just my 2 cents.

Jimm,
you say is like new, how long have you had it? Would the warranty still cover it?
Thanks.

i got a 1500 bushnell shipped for 329 from optic zone.i agree with previous post, will range out to 1k, haven't successfully ranged anything farther than that.

Eaglet ,

I have had it since last ( 2005 ) August . It is my understanding the warranty is lifetime without regard to the owner .

Please , anyone with a different understanding speak up .

Just wanting to try other units , will probably sell the next one I try as well .I really like to get others opinions on equipment but in the end there is nothing like first hand experience .

You have my email if you need to ask more . Holler at me ,

Jim B.

Has anyone here considered the Leupold RX IV?

8x with +/- 1 yd accuracy, 1500 yds reflective,
900 yds trees, and 800 yds deer.
It has built in declination and tilt compensation,
selectable reticle, waterproof, and 2 yr warrenty.
I have seen them advertised for $479.00.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts