Bushnell Elite 1500 Laser Range Finder

IceSniper

I ordered my Elite 1500 from The Optic Zone for $329US and although they were out of stock at the time i ordered, I received it in Australia in less than two weeks and any questions i had were promptly answered by Jon by e-mail. I have no problem fully recommending them.

The elite come boxed with a semi-hard, zip up carry case that can be hung from the strap provided, like a handbag, or it can be put on a belt with the two loops on its back, There is also a divider inside the case where you could put a couple of spare batteries or a notebook, although batteries are a tight fit and put pressure on the lens end when you zip it up. Once i checked out the accessories i slipped a 9volt battery in and sat out on my deck to range everything in sight. I could consistently get reading off a telephone pole at 563y, a 4ft high, 2ft wide stump at 850y and a group of young gum trees out to 1197y when the sun was behind the clouds although in the midday sun i couldn't read much over 1050y. The furthest reading i could get was 1362y on a group of 2 or 3 large blackwood trees although 2 out of 5 trys wouldn't register. The three that did, showed 1352y, 1361y, 1362y. Battery life seems to be pretty good, I ranged probably 300 'targets' mainly in 'scan' mode before the first 9volt gave a 'Low Batt' reading, However when i put the same battery back in a couple of hours later I was able to range another 10-15 targets between 400y and 850y before i got another "low batt" reading. I also tryed it while it was pouring with rain (Visability was around 1200m) and the furthest i could get a reading from a tree was 700y.

The optics are good of a day but it gets harder to see in the last half hour or so of light, But given that the objective is only 26mm it has to be expected. The only fault I can see with the bushnell 1500 is the LED made for low/no light usage....It just doesn't work! you can see a green glow at the bottom of the FOV but it does absolutely nothing to illuminate the range reading or cross-hair. The good news is that it doesn't really matter because you can see the bold black read out fine at dawn and dusk and Night use isn't really an issue because you can't see more than ~100m of a night without a light and it you have a light on the target the reticule/read-out would be clearly visible. The body of the bushnell is plastic with rubber panels and is stated as being 100% water proof although I'm not dropping it in a bucket of water to see if it's true!

Although I've never been a bushnell fan in the past, I would recommend the Elite 1500 for anyone who wants an relatively inexpensive range finder for LR hunting. At the time of writing this is the cheapest 1000y+ range finder i could find anywhere and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and the fact i could range trees out to 1350y which is 350y past the stated max!!!
I wish now I had paid the extra $40-$50 and got the new model that reads the slope as well. But this should cover my needs for a while.

Hope this helps some of you guys looking for a LRF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

BTW if you live in Australia, ORDER OVERSEAS the cheapest price i could find in Australia was $750!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I wish now I had paid the extra $40-$50 and got the new model that reads the slope as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
What model has the slope feature?

This one ---> The Optic Zone

Also i went shooting this morning trying to pick off a wallaby at LR before sunrise, I never seen anything but before the sun come over the mountains i could range a line of small fur pines between 1460y and 1503y no problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif . Thats the furthest i've been able to read to date.

Ice,do you have this on a tripod when getting these readings? reason i ask is i've had one of these for most of a year and rarely ever get a reading barely over 1k and that has to be a perpendicular side of a barn.i've never received a distance of 1100 or more to anything.

Dave,
Send it to Bushnell, they have a good service. Mine will do everything IceSniper is saying. I really like mine.

Dave,
No tri-pod, just resting my elbows from sitting positing, I was shaking a bit because it was bloody cold, but it still picked up each time, with a delay of less than a second which was amazing because in overcast conditions it usally takes 1-2secs to show a 1k+ reading.
It's interesting you mention not getting past 1k on a barn because i've tryed to ranged a couple barns near home that are made from corragated iron (Red and galvanised) probally 10 degrees from 'broadside' and i can't pick them up even though i can pick up a blackwood tree 20yds beside one of them! (1240y).
But if you are having problems reading over 1K especially in overcast/low light conditions I'd do what Eaglet said and contact bushnell.

ice sniper,
Thank you for your post.Thank you for advise to buy overseas as you know all range finders are dear in Australia. I hope to buy one of these when I save up enough.
Regards
hjl

From the performance you guys are getting with your 1500 Bushnell it beats my leica 1200 scan hands down. My leica won't read past 800 yards in the sun. There can't be any sun to get it to read to 1000 yards. If i was a sniper and my life and skills depended on my range finder and rifle, I wouldn't trust my leica to range to a 1000 in mid day sun. Thanks Reed

Reed Mosser,
This is what I did:
I bought me a Bushnell Elite 1500 range finder... was not too happy with it... I took it back and bought the Leica 1200 and found that there was not much difference and if any the Elite 1500 was doing better. Lots of head scratching... 5 days later I decide that if that's the way it was going to be I'd rather buy the elite 1500 and save some money. I went back to the store and asked for unopened boxed Elite 1500... Now I was happy. The 1500 was really performing and definitely takes down the Leica 1200. Just my experience.

A friend brought his over a few months back, and it definately sucked the place up. We couldn't even get a reading off my 11' tall, 8ft wide target at 1350yds, and its painted white!
I better tell him to get ahold of bushnell... what were they saying was wrong with them? anybody know?

I have the same - in fact got the first through the Australian supply network - form NVT. At that time the price in Aust and from US was around the same.

I use it for varminting out to 500m or so. it does this well esepecially when in target mode.

However the optics are really dim - but still good enough for met to seew what needs ranging. I certainly wouldn't think of them as any kind of backup monocular to my bino's though. Even my pocket steiners are noticably superior in clarity

They are reasonably large compared to some others and take up a bit of room in my bumbag

Overall for me thye do what they need to qutie well - but not something I have any "emotional" attachment to

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.