Which camera for watching bullet placement?

Gregg C

Want to get a camcorder to help me see my shots, as I can't seem to get back in the scope in time. Started looking, but its sorta overwhelming. Hoping some of you have some experience and\or advice. Pixels? Zoom, I'm thinking around 60X. Under 500.00 hopefully. Thanks.

Any camera or recorder will work. Make sure it does not have auto shut down time limit. Nothing worse than getting part of your shots underway to find out later that the unit has a 10 minute default built in. Ha.

And make sure you can plug in an external power supply like a external battery backup to keep the unit running for a few hours.

My light-weight set-up has 3 days running time non stop,,, 1.5 lbs all in. Plus zoom to the 60 X. My next unit will come with the 100 power in compact...

$550 Cnd funds,,, about $375 Usd green backs.

I was given a Caldwell target spotter camera system as a gift . I didn't expect much at all due to the reasonable cost and I didn't think I needed it . Let me tell you ......it is awesome ! U can spot your shots, Mark them , calculates group size , video ..... it bluetooths to my I pad or phone . The best part is that you are much better off to get the camera view from close to the target then transmit that signal to the receiver at your location vs trying to zoom from your shooting location with a spotting scope or video cam as that will amplify heat waves or any other visual limitations ( haze , dust .....) battery life last 6+ hrs no problem and you can also power it with 110 or optional batteries for all day use. I have used it to 1400 yards and I'm very happy .

Has anyone here have experience with the SME bullseye camera systems from Midway USA Long Range- Edition vs / or the Sight-in-Edition? Also have a Nikon Cool Pix 900 with 80x zoom but haven't tried it yet. What other cameras are out there?

Last edited:
I do the same thing,,, full size white paper 4'x4' with hash marks in 1' intervals,,, set camera at half way point to zoom in on the rest of the distance...

Super easy to spot each shot. And the camera comes in handy for spotting sheep...

The twilight function is what I like the most,,, that and it's half the weight of my spotting scope...

My elk hunting buddies don't carry spotting scopes any more. For about $500 we got a Nikon 900 camera. I don't remember the exact zoom, but I think it's in the 83x range. You can bring a bull at a mile and a half to "up close and personal". We've videoed several elk being shot. You can see the vapor trail and exactly where the elk is hit. We set it up on a little tripod for both hunting and at the range. We've even videoed 1 mile target shots. You can also take pictures of you target at the range....at any distance. I told a good friend, who is one of the best long range shooters I know, about the camera. A couple weeks later he called me and said, "I just had to call you to THANK you for telling me about the Nikon 900!" He said he'd bought one and already used it to video a one mile group three shot group of a 338 Edge that he was tuning up for a client. He said, "Bill, this camera changes everything! It's awesome, and you can take videos and pictures!"

My elk hunting buddies don't carry spotting scopes any more. For about $500 we got a Nikon 900 camera. I don't remember the exact zoom, but I think it's in the 83x range. You can bring a bull at a mile and a half to "up close and personal". We've videoed several elk being shot. You can see the vapor trail and exactly where the elk is hit. We set it up on a little tripod for both hunting and at the range. We've even videoed 1 mile target shots. You can also take pictures of you target at the range....at any distance. I told a good friend, who is one of the best long range shooters I know, about the camera. A couple weeks later he called me and said, "I just had to call you to THANK you for telling me about the Nikon 900!" He said he'd bought one and already used it to video a one mile group three shot group of a 338 Edge that he was tuning up for a client. He said, "Bill, this camera changes everything! It's awesome, and you can take videos and pictures!"
I believe that is a Nikon Cool Pix 900 with 80x zoom.

Want to get a camcorder to help me see my shots, as I can't seem to get back in the scope in time. Started looking, but its sorta overwhelming. Hoping some of you have some experience and\or advice. Pixels? Zoom, I'm thinking around 60X. Under 500.00 hopefully. Thanks.

Just to clarify , are you wanting to spot shots on targets or for hunting ? I may have misunderstood what you were looking for . If it's for hunting , it may be tough to run up on your bull , place the target camera , then run back and take the shot ! lol !!!! I was thinking it was for target shooting/testing but maybe not ....

No, it is for hits on targets. Couple weeks ago I ranged a rock, dailed it in, and proceeded to splatter lead all over it. Next time out I picked out a farther rock, 100 yds more by the BDX- and missed. Couldn't see any thing around it depicting near miss, no dust, nothing. Later I hiked up to it and ranged my truck while standing on it. Turns out it was farther than my Sig said it was by another 100 or so. Thinking a video would have helped me out there. So a video I shall try. Nikon 900, eh ?

No, it is for hits on targets. Couple weeks ago I ranged a rock, dailed it in, and proceeded to splatter lead all over it. Next time out I picked out a farther rock, 100 yds more by the BDX- and missed. Couldn't see any thing around it depicting near miss, no dust, nothing. Later I hiked up to it and ranged my truck while standing on it. Turns out it was farther than my Sig said it was by another 100 or so. Thinking a video would have helped me out there. So a video I shall try. Nikon 900, eh ?
the new Nikon 1000 has a 3000mm lens for real close ups. plus runs 6 1/2 hrs and shuts off but you can restart right away I have a Nikon 900 and it works well plus both have video the 1000 can blue tooth to your iPad or like tablet which is nice not sure on the 900 will have to check it out. There is a video showing the difference between them.

the new Nikon 1000 has a 3000mm lens for real close ups. plus runs 6 1/2 hrs and shuts off but you can restart right away I have a Nikon 900 and it works well plus both have video the 1000 can blue tooth to your iPad or like tablet which is nice not sure on the 900 will have to check it out. There is a video showing the difference between them.
Lots of additional benefits with the 1000, but I believe almost double the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.