Camera for long range video

Video cameras shoot at a max resolution of 1920px X 1080px so most dslr cameras down sample the image. If you have a camera and take a picture and zoom in and it is sharp that is one thing, IT IS NOT THE SAME AS VIDEO. Unfortunately there is no cheap way to get there from here. I have a nikon d800 which is a full frame dslr for stills and video Nikon D800 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) 25480 B&H Photo Video about $3000 which will shoot hd video but your big investment is the glass. Think about what a good spotting scope goes for a good large telephoto like nikon or cannon 500mm fixed 2.8 is $8000-$10000.
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR AF Lens 2173 B&H Photo Video

I would recommend finding a spotting scope your camera can mount to. I believe this is how they shoot most of the long range stuff. A telephoto that large is very expensive and has limited use.

If it was me I would get a
-Panasonic lumix GH3 $1000 +/-
-a novoflex adapter for nikon or cannon glass $350+/-
- buy a good spotting scope with a lens mount attachment

or

- I would search ebay for used manual telephotos (you don't want auto focus anyway)
-you can get a doubler which will double your magnification but low light performance will suffer

I shoot video and stills for a living if you want more description and advice pm me

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.