Which boomstick for Canada Whitetails?

I'm still stuck on your NXS not being illuminated. Is it not working or just doesn't have one? Do me a favor and pull out on the parallax knob and see what happens...😳
Probably hasn't installed the battery from NIB.... :) :) :)

(First post - long time reader) Live and hunt in Saskatchewan about an hour drive south of provincial forest. You can't lose with either rifle mentioned though I'd lean toward the 28 Nosler as well. My sons and I shoot 6.5x55 AI (130AB), 270 Win (140AB) and 300 WSM (165AB or IB) - all around 3000+ fps and all do the job well on deer as long as we place the shot properly. We like the bonded bullets for hunting for combination of toughness, penetration and expansion given shots can be less than 50 to over 600 yards. The scopes you have should work fine if dialed down to the lower end of range but the extra power might well come in handy should a longer shot present itself. Congratulations on getting your chance to hunt up here - good luck!

Guys -- just sent my deposit in for a premium Canada whitetail hunt for November 2021. This outfitter is typically booked 3-5 years out but had a cancellation and I got the call. Now to the important question....which boomstick? A lot of the time will be spend in blinds but outfitter is open to some spot/stalk (longer shots) depending on how the hunt is going. Here are the options:

-- 300 PRC w/ Leupold Mark 5HD 5x25 Illuminated. Loads developed w/ 215 berger hybrid and 214 Hammer.
-- 28 Nosler w NF NXS 5.5X22 (not illuminated) Loads developed w/ 180 VLD and 169 hammer.

My gut says that I want to take the 28 nosler but thinking the Mark 5 scope w/ illumination might come in handy in the low light conditions that Canada is famous for.

Thoughts?

LHP
Hello as guide in Manitoba and a very avid hunter your 28 setup will more then sufficient for any area in the prairies

(First post - long time reader) Live and hunt in Saskatchewan about an hour drive south of provincial forest. You can't lose with either rifle mentioned though I'd lean toward the 28 Nosler as well. My sons and I shoot 6.5x55 AI (130AB), 270 Win (140AB) and 300 WSM (165AB or IB) - all around 3000+ fps and all do the job well on deer as long as we place the shot properly. We like the bonded bullets for hunting for combination of toughness, penetration and expansion given shots can be less than 50 to over 600 yards. The scopes you have should work fine if dialed down to the lower end of range but the extra power might well come in handy should a longer shot present itself. Congratulations on getting your chance to hunt up here - good luck!
Being a fellow Saskatchewanite, I just gotta say, I love your forum name.

I've hunted deer for forty years in southern Manitoba. I've shot them with everything from a 22-284 with 90gr Bergers to a 338-378 improved with 250gr Sierras. My go to for the last couple of years has been a 6.5-284 with 140gr Bergers. They aren't that hard to kill if you hit them in the boiler room. I've never owned an illuminated reticle. I always figured if I couldn't see the reticle I probably shouldn't be shooting at game. Just my 2 cents.

I hunt in Northern Minnesota, Not quite Canada. I have found that when it is dark enough to want illumination you are likely beyond legal hours and that using it could wash out your target. I have had good success with red dot sights though on slug guns within legal hours.

Either rifle will work fine on Canadian whitetails. I've hunted Alberta for many years with a 6.5x284/140gr VLD's using scopes in the 5- 20/25X range. Having shot large whitetails and mule deer as far as 750 yards, it has proven to be more then effective.

Guys -- just sent my deposit in for a premium Canada whitetail hunt for November 2021. This outfitter is typically booked 3-5 years out but had a cancellation and I got the call. Now to the important question....which boomstick? A lot of the time will be spend in blinds but outfitter is open to some spot/stalk (longer shots) depending on how the hunt is going. Here are the options:

-- 300 PRC w/ Leupold Mark 5HD 5x25 Illuminated. Loads developed w/ 215 berger hybrid and 214 Hammer.
-- 28 Nosler w NF NXS 5.5X22 (not illuminated) Loads developed w/ 180 VLD and 169 hammer.

My gut says that I want to take the 28 nosler but thinking the Mark 5 scope w/ illumination might come in handy in the low light conditions that Canada is famous for.

Thoughts?

LHP
What low light is that? Spotlighting isn't legal here...so if you are talking about low light after Sunset....all countries are famous for it! But now that I know we have a light problem....I guess I will buy headlamps for my sunglasses!

Last edited:
You better keep an eye on crossing into Canada. Border is SHUT DOWN. Some reports say untill 2022. I live 4 miles from the border and cross several times a week, but only for essential business.

Keep checking,
Tode

You better keep an eye on crossing into Canada. Border is SHUT DOWN. Some reports say untill 2022. I live 4 miles from the border and cross several times a week, but only for essential business.

Keep checking,
Tode
I'm aware. Had my waterfowl hunt cancelled this year. I'm just happy to be on the list. I don't care if it does push. Gonna be a lot of big deer from lack of pressure whenever it does open.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.