Which boomstick for Canada Whitetails?

I agree one gun and one ammo. I would talk to the guide a bit about likely shots.

You might feel a bit silly with a 12lb rifle in a stand where the longest shooting lane is 75 yds.

Personally I think your scope choices are wrong. I would only go 3=15 maybe 4-16 best would be 3-18, Your 5 power is to much if you have a chance in thick brush as you mentioned you could.
I live in Alberta clothing should be more your concern as our weather can be crazy. I have seen November o degrees all month or colder. Then I have seen it 0 one day and 50 degrees the next. We have a saying here if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes.
My advice is get a lower powered scope on the bottom end. Then find a good layering clothing system. Good luck on your hunt.

I'll be danged. The NXS is illuminated. I have the version that NF did for G7/Gunwerks before they severed their partnership and I always assumed (incorrectly as it turns out) that it didn't have illumination. It's a SFP scope so it's never really been that big of a deal.

Wild bill — I've hunted Alaska a couple of times late season for Sitka black tails so I think I'll be prepped for the weather. I hear what your saying on the low end of the power range but I've hunted w my 28 nosler a lot and even in brush I feel comfortable.

looks like I'm talking the 28. Thanks to those that forced me to take it out of the safe and play w it tonight.

As Beeman mentioned, our deer here are no harder to kill than your deer so don't over think this hunt. As for your gun choices, either one will work just fine. As far as Canada being famous for our dark conditions, I'm really not sure what that means, lol, fading light conditions are still fading light conditions no matter where you are, they may just happen earlier in the day up here. Where I hunt deer in Saskatchewan in mid November 5:20 pm hunting is done for the day because of the dark. As wildBillG said, I would be more concerned about clothing. I have hunted in November in a T shirt in +20c temperatures to a snowmobile suit in -30c temperatures. Good luck with your hunt, I hope it will be one you will remeber.

Personally I think your scope choices are wrong. I would only go 3=15 maybe 4-16 best would be 3-18, Your 5 power is to much if you have a chance in thick brush as you mentioned you could.
Well, I never want to tell another man about his optics choice, but....

Again, I don't know what you are hunting...your guide could put you in a 25ft tall hut with a shooting bench an coffee maker in it the deer often come within 100 yards of, but you have clear shooting for a mile.

He could also put you in river bottom tree stands where you can see 12 yards one way and 37 yards another way.

.....or you could walk river bottoms for movement which IME leads to 50-300 yd shots.

Like many folks, I prefer 2-3x on the bottom end for walking in....4x is ok in more open country.

Guys -- just sent my deposit in for a premium Canada whitetail hunt for November 2021. This outfitter is typically booked 3-5 years out but had a cancellation and I got the call. Now to the important question....which boomstick? A lot of the time will be spend in blinds but outfitter is open to some spot/stalk (longer shots) depending on how the hunt is going. Here are the options:

-- 300 PRC w/ Leupold Mark 5HD 5x25 Illuminated. Loads developed w/ 215 berger hybrid and 214 Hammer.
-- 28 Nosler w NF NXS 5.5X22 (not illuminated) Loads developed w/ 180 VLD and 169 hammer.

My gut says that I want to take the 28 nosler but thinking the Mark 5 scope w/ illumination might come in handy in the low light conditions that Canada is famous for.

Thoughts?

LHP

What you haven't told us what Province are you going to hunt?

I live up in northern Alberta and hunt whitetails and moose all the time. Most of my hunts is in heavy bush. Either of those will work. I have taken deer with .243win to .416Rigby. And most inbetween. Where I am we allowed 1 buck and 2 does every year around here and the odd mulie every once in a while. For bush hunting, like mentioned before you typically have shots of 100yards or less. With hunting like that, especially if you are in a blind, the shorted barrel the better. Try manovering a long barrel in the back seat of a truck will give you the size referance of most blinds. Also bullet speed issue. Faster more sleek designed bullets do get deflected by branches easier than slow slug. Then bullet design for expansion vs explosion at near point blank ranges. Ideally a second focal scope because you will most likely be searching for the deer with the scope for quicker shots and its very likely on low power. So better chance of not having a perfect sight picture and much easier to be holding high/low with a FFP scope. Might not be a miss, but poor hits aren't fun either.

For open fields or longer shots, what every you feel more comfortable with. Typically you have a longer time to set up on them so FFP/SFP is less of a factor.

Guys -- just sent my deposit in for a premium Canada whitetail hunt for November 2021. This outfitter is typically booked 3-5 years out but had a cancellation and I got the call. Now to the important question....which boomstick? A lot of the time will be spend in blinds but outfitter is open to some spot/stalk (longer shots) depending on how the hunt is going. Here are the options:

-- 300 PRC w/ Leupold Mark 5HD 5x25 Illuminated. Loads developed w/ 215 berger hybrid and 214 Hammer.
-- 28 Nosler w NF NXS 5.5X22 (not illuminated) Loads developed w/ 180 VLD and 169 hammer.

My gut says that I want to take the 28 nosler but thinking the Mark 5 scope w/ illumination might come in handy in the low light conditions that Canada is famous for.

Thoughts?

LHP
I live in Alberta Canada, and either will work. For much of out deer hunting, we use either a 7mm08 or 6.5 Creedmoor, so the 2 choices you mentioned will definitely get the job done. We also use a VX5HD. The law here states you can only hunt 30 minutes after sunset, so an illuminated reticle isn't needed. I own several scopes with illuminated reticles, and never use them..... your VX5HD will be plenty bright, especially if you back off on the magnification. Good luck on your hunt!

I have been 4 times. Took Sako M995 in 30-378 used factory 180 grain Barnes and Sako M995 7 MM STW with custom hand loads 140 nosier with 81 grains of H1000 and have never had a issue. Both rifles have same scope 26" barrels. For me I found if your going out of country or on a expensive hunt you should take 2 rifles and I wanted mine to match. Trigger pull, Safety, Weight, ect....
This came to be a really good thing on my last Africa trip and had a scope go south picked up other rifle and never missed a beat.
That's just my 2 cents I'm sure not as smart as you guys on here.
Thanks.

either one of those rifles will be more than enough take which ever one you are most comfortable with I went on a similar hunt several years back and took a 7mm-08 shooting a 150 grain so you should have zero issues good luck with your adventure

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.