Which barrel?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by samson, Jan 13, 2005.

1. samson

samson Well-Known Member

I am going to purchase a barrel within the next month for a Win mod 70 action and an HS precision stock. Are there any differences between Hart, Lilja, Shillen, or Kreiger? I have also been hearing about E.R. Shaw. Which would you pick for long range hunting (no matches)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. budlight

budlight Well-Known Member

The heavy stainless long one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Really, your splitting hairs. Any of them with the correct twist for your bullet type and proper reload testing will make for fine groups.

3. rost495

rost495 Well-Known Member

you may be splitting hairs, until you typed Shaw. Delete that one and away you go. Pac Nor might be the worst of the bunch but I sure can't tell any difference between it and my Kriegers.

4. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

What caliber? I have preferences for certain calibers but I use Broughton, Schneider and/or Rock.

5. samson

samson Well-Known Member

It will be chambered in a 300 WM.

6. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

Rock 1-11 twist for anything under 210gr or 10 twist for 220 and up. See Ric Horst post on his 300 Win Mag and you know why.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

I've got a Broughton 5c 1/12 twist in 300wsm. You would have good luck with Lilja,Hart,Shilen,Pac-Nor and K&P also. My next project is a 284 with a 5c barrel from Broughton. They make apretty nice barrel and the owner Tim North shoots alot of 1000yd stuff. Hart,Kreiger,Pac-Nor,K&P and Shilen offer chambering service so is nice if don't have a gunsmith handy. I've never owned a Kreiger so decided to have a 300winmag build using a 1/10 twist barrel. I should have that rifle sometime in Feb so will post how it does. Good Luck.