Which barrel?

samson

I am going to purchase a barrel within the next month for a Win mod 70 action and an HS precision stock. Are there any differences between Hart, Lilja, Shillen, or Kreiger? I have also been hearing about E.R. Shaw. Which would you pick for long range hunting (no matches)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The heavy stainless long one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Really, your splitting hairs. Any of them with the correct twist for your bullet type and proper reload testing will make for fine groups.

you may be splitting hairs, until you typed Shaw. Delete that one and away you go. Pac Nor might be the worst of the bunch but I sure can't tell any difference between it and my Kriegers.

Rock 1-11 twist for anything under 210gr or 10 twist for 220 and up. See Ric Horst post on his 300 Win Mag and you know why.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've got a Broughton 5c 1/12 twist in 300wsm. You would have good luck with Lilja,Hart,Shilen,Pac-Nor and K&P also. My next project is a 284 with a 5c barrel from Broughton. They make apretty nice barrel and the owner Tim North shoots alot of 1000yd stuff. Hart,Kreiger,Pac-Nor,K&P and Shilen offer chambering service so is nice if don't have a gunsmith handy. I've never owned a Kreiger so decided to have a 300winmag build using a 1/10 twist barrel. I should have that rifle sometime in Feb so will post how it does. Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.