Which barrel?

Which barrel maker for custom 8mm high-performance build ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.300 Dakota

I'm looking at producing potentially the first new 8mm cartridge in the last 20 or 21 years. Problem is your major competition barrel makers don't offer an 8mm blank. Here are the manufacturers I know of that produce an 8mm blank: Pac-Nor, Lilja, Douglas, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Preferred Barrel Blanks (Wilson?), Shaw, and McGowen. I have my preference by process of elimination, but I wanted to ask the congregation to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything or any other maker. None of the elite cut-rifle makers, that I know of, make an 8mm (.323) blank. Not popular enough to waste their time on, and there are no real long-range bullet options that I'm aware of - the 220 grain Sierra GameKing being about the best proposition of the bunch. If I'm dead set on producing this cartridge, which blank should I use for best accuracy at distances as long as it's capable of reaching (beyond 500 yds).

I have 3 McGowens (264wm, AR 6.5prc, AR 7-08), C6 300wm(McGowen blank) and an X-Caliber in route. These are the only custom barrels I've bought. The 1st 4 have been good, so no comment on the others.

I found these guys when I was looking for a 8mm barrel. They will do a tight twist for you if that's what your looking for. I've never used them though so I don't know how they are.

And you have to call and ask but badlands does make a heavy mono for 8mm as well.
Screenshot_20220821-145143_Chrome~2.jpg

I'm looking at producing potentially the first new 8mm cartridge in the last 20 or 21 years. Problem is your major competition barrel makers don't offer an 8mm blank. Here are the manufacturers I know of that produce an 8mm blank: Pac-Nor, Lilja, Douglas, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Preferred Barrel Blanks (Wilson?), Shaw, and McGowen. I have my preference by process of elimination, but I wanted to ask the congregation to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything or any other maker. None of the elite cut-rifle makers, that I know of, make an 8mm (.323) blank. Not popular enough to waste their time on, and there are no real long-range bullet options that I'm aware of - the 220 grain Sierra GameKing being about the best proposition of the bunch. If I'm dead set on producing this cartridge, which blank should I use for best accuracy at distances as long as it's capable of reaching (beyond 500 yds).

No Bartlein for me. Brux and Krieger are my first choice. But of those in the list, Pac Nor, Lilja, and Shilen would all serve you very well.

Lothar Walther is some strange steel, and many gunsmiths will not use their tooling on this barrel, so let Lothar Walthar do the work for you. Woody is a wealth of knowledge at Lothar W.

Last edited:
I think any of the ones on your list would be great. I don't know the lead times for the companies, but for me, I'd want the barrel fairly fast if I was ready to get on with the build so have you checked with the companies to see how long it will take them to get it to you?
I know one of my local gunsmiths has waited up to 12 months (recently) for a barrel from at least one of the companies on your list because he doesn't buy in bulk and isn't a priority. I recently bought a barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks. It was quick, the customer service was great (talked to them several times over the phone and via email before I bought it), and the barrel shoots great. For me, I'm looking for the best price, great reputation and the quickest turn: maybe that narrows the list for you.